The Divorce Survival Guide Podcast
Jun 1, 2023
Episode 219: Divorce Tips From Kids with Grace Casper
When it comes to divorce and our children, there are things that, as adults, we are not thinking about. Wouldn’t it be great to understand a kid’s perspective as we traverse divorce? This week, Grace Casper, a child of divorce, joins me to share insights and practical tools parents can use to guide children before, during, and after divorce.
Grace became a child of divorce at age eight. Since then, she’s wanted to help families through the divorce process. She is now 24 years old and runs Divorce Tips from Kids. She is also the host of the podcast, “Divorce: What I Wish My Parents Knew,” and author of the upcoming book, "Dear Parents: Notes From a Child of Divorce.”
Featured topics and insights include:
* Parents set the tone for the home and the divorce. (5:58)
* Divorce tip! “Send a piece of yourself with your kid when they visit their other parent.” (8:15)
* Allow your child to miss their other parent when they are with you. (12:11)
* Dismissing your child simply because of their age is a huge disservice to them. (22:47)
* Your kids get to decide what divorce means for them (like, it sucks, it’s good, or even a coexisting of both good and bad). (32:29)
* Divorce tip! “Empower and coach your kids about how to speak to their other parent.” (39:21)
* Reminder: Your child is not responsible for caring for your happiness. (44:45)
Learn more about Grace Casper:
Grace Casper became a child of divorce at age eight. By age 10, she had already written her first manuscript draft for her book. Ever since then, she’s wanted to help families through the process of divorce. She is now 24 years old and runs Divorce Tips from Kids. This includes posting on social media, sending out emails to parents, and hosting her podcast, “Divorce: What I Wish My Parents Knew” (the first podcast created from the child’s perspective). She is also the author of the upcoming book, "Dear Parents: Notes From a Child of Divorce," which comes out June 20th.
She is a Baylor University alumni; however, her hometown in Colorado will forever have her heart. When Grace isn’t creating content about divorce, she works as a full-time elementary school librarian. She lives in Waco, TX, with her tiny maltipoo, Teddy, and two best friends.
Resources & Links:
Information and links may also be found at: http://kateanthony.com/podcast/episode-219-divorce-tips-from-kids-with-grace-casper/
Download The Divorce Survival Guide Podcast Curated Podcast Playlist
Private Coaching with Kate
Grace on Instagram
Grace on TikTok
Grace on Facebook
DISCLAIMER: THE COMMENTARY AND OPINIONS AVAILABLE ON THIS PODCAST ARE FOR INFORMATIONAL AND ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY AND NOT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING LEGAL OR PSYCHOLOGICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD CONTACT AN ATTORNEY, COACH, OR THERAPIST IN YOUR STATE TO OBTAIN ADVICE WITH RESPECT TO ANY PARTICULAR ISSUE OR PROBLEM.