The Seen and the Unseen - hosted by Amit Varma
Feb 5, 2023
Ep 315: Arshia Sattar and the Complex Search for Dharma
The Ramayana is not one book, but a living text with countless versions across languages, each reflecting the values of its time and place. Arshia Sattar joins Amit Varma to share her insights from decades of study. Also discussed: the art of translation -- and our search for dharma.
(FOR FULL LINKED SHOW NOTES, GO TO SEENUNSEEN.IN.)
Also check out
1. Arshia Sattar on Amazon, Open and Wikipedia.
2. Valmiki's Ramayana -- Translated by Arshia Sattar.
3. Maryada: Searching for Dharma in the Ramayana -- Arshia Sattar.
4. Lost Loves: Exploring Rama's Anguish -- Arshia Sattar.
5. AK Ramanujan on Amazon and Wikipedia.
6. Wendy Doniger on Amazon and Wikipedia.
7. Alf Hiltebeitel on Amazon and Wikipedia.
8. 300 Ramayanas — AK Ramanujan.
9. On Hinduism and The Hindus — Wendy Doniger.
10. Yuganta — Irawati Karve.
11. The Loneliness of the Indian Woman — Episode 259 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Shrayana Bhattacharya).
12. The Loneliness of the Indian Man — Episode 303 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Nikhil Taneja).
13. 'I Have a Dream' (video) (transcript) -- Martin Luther King.
14. Whatever happened To Ehsan Jafri on February 28, 2002? — Harsh Mander.
15. The Gita Press and Hindu Nationalism — Episode 139 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Akshaya Mukul).
14. Gita Press and the Making of Hindu India — Akshaya Mukul.
15. The Shah Bano case, the Sati at Deorala and the banning of Satanic Verses.
16. 1968: The Year that Rocked the World -- Mark Kurlanksy.
17. The Rooted Cosmopolitanism of Sugata Srinivasaraju — Episode 277 of The Seen and the Unseen.
18. Girish Karnad on Amazon and Wikipedia.
19. Understanding India Through Its Languages — Episode 232 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Peggy Mohan).
20. Wanderers, Kings, Merchants: The Story of India through Its Languages — Peggy Mohan.
21. Early Indians — Episode 112 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Tony Joseph).
22. Early Indians — Tony Joseph.
23. Who We Are and How We Got Here — David Reich.
24. Nissim Ezekiel on Amazon, Wikipedia and All Poetry.
25. The Seven Basic Plots — Christopher Booker.
26. The Long Road From Neeyat to Neeti -- Episode 313 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane and Raghu S Jaitley).
27. Sansar Se Bhage Phirte Ho — Song from Chitralekha with lyrics by Sahir Ludhianvi.
28. Episodes of the Seen and the Unseen on Mughal history with Ira Mukhoty, Parvati Sharma, Rana Safvi and Manimugdha Sharma.
29. Tales from the Kathasaritsagara -- Somadeva (translated by Arshia Sattar).
30. The Second Game of Dice -- Amit Varma.
31. Range Rover -- The archives of Amit Varma's column on poker for the Economic Times.
32. Critical Theory and Structuralism.
33. The Missing Queen -- Samhita Arni.
34. Ramcharitmanas (Hindi) (English) (Wikipedia) -- Tulsidas.
35. Krittivasi Ramayan (Bengali) (Wikipedia) -- Krittibas Ojha.
36. The Kamba Ramayana -- Translated by PS Sundaram.
37. The Odyssey and The Iliad by Homer.
38. David Shulman on Amazon and Wikipedia.
39. Narendra Modi takes a Great Leap Backwards — Amit Varma (on demonetisation).
40. Bimal Krishna Matilal on Amazon and Wikipedia.
41. Dharma: Dimensions of Asian Spirituality -- Alf Hiltebeitel.
42. Understanding Gandhi. Part 1: Mohandas — Episode 104 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ram Guha).
43. Understanding Gandhi. Part 2: Mahatma — Episode 105 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ram Guha).
44. The Origins of Evil in Hindu Mythology -- Wendy Doniger.
45. Raja Ravi Varma.
46. Shoodhra Tapasvi -- Kuvempu.
47. Ludwig Wittgenstein on Amazon, Wikipedia, Britannica and Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
48. The Art of Translation — Episode 168 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Arunava Sinha).
49. The Life and Times of Shanta Gokhale — Episode 311 of The Seen and the Unseen.
50. The Life and Times of Jerry Pinto -- Episode 314 of The Seen and the Unseen.
51. RRR -- SS Rajamouli.
52. The Girish Karnad Podcasts: The Rover Has No Fear of Memories -- An oral history enabled by Arshia Sattar and Anmol Tikoo.
53. This Life At Play: Memoirs -- Girish Karnad.
54. Kind of Blue -- Miles Davis.
55. Elena Ferrante on Amazon.
56. The Door -- Magda Szabó.
57. The Mahabaharata -- Peter Brook.
58. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, That Obscure Object of Desire — Luis Buñuel.
59. The Unbearable Lightness of Being — Philip Kaufman.
60. The Line -- An Apple Original podcast.
This episode is sponsored by CTQ Compounds. Check out The Daily Reader and FutureStack. Use the code UNSEEN for Rs 2500 off.
Check out Amit’s online course, The Art of Clear Writing.
And subscribe to The India Uncut Newsletter. It’s free!
Episode art: ‘Searching for Dharma’ by Simahina.