People love retirement accounts.
If I had a dollar for every time someone got excited about contributing to their backdoor Roth IRA, I would probably be a millionaire.
While it’s great energy to have, it’s not that important to your long-term financial future. In this episode, I share my thoughts on why your retirement accounts don’t matter nearly as much as you think.
In today’s episode, you'll find out:
- Reader question: Are student loan repayment grants worth it?
- Reader question: Two key differences in employer student loan programs
- Reader question: Can you prepay or make lump sum payments for PSLF?
- Why backdoor Roth IRAs aren’t as great as you think
- My shocking confession about backdoor Roth IRAs
- When retirement accounts actually DO matter
- Why age 50 is a key milestone in your retirement plans
- Why retirement accounts can’t help you if you want (or need) to retire early
- How to use a brokerage account as a financial safety net
- What to do if you want to be financially independent
- How low-income individuals can reach early retirement
- Why you shouldn’t optimize every financial decision
Full show notes at: http://studentloanplanner.com/102
StudentAid.gov PSLF guidelines Physician on Fire guide to backdoor Roth IRAs
Like the show? There are several ways you can help!
Feeling helpless when it comes to your student loans?