Love is Key (Matt Miller ep. 324)
Matt Miller is a proven + award-winning leader who focuses on building positive relationships that lead to impactful + measurable change. His motto is “love is key” and I’m honored to share that he joined our team as Lead Live Inspired Coach last year.
We first met eight years ago, I was invited to speak at the elementary school where Matt was principal. His devotion, attentiveness and respect for and from the teachers + faculty was unmatched. Even more impressive was his ability to empower young students to become leaders and harness their unique gifts.
Today Matt will share his best tips on how to strengthen your leadership, liberate yourself from personal + professional challenges and set attainable goals to make 2021 your best year yet.
* Growing up in the small town of Corning, Iowa, Matt credits his four grandparents as the reason he works hard, wakes up early and enjoys gardening.
* Even as a young lifeguard, Matt has had a passion for the kids that needed the extra help which led him to become a special education teacher and then spending 23 years as a principal.
* Matt enjoyed watching children, especially those that needed extra help, succeed. Quickly realizing the important role teachers + administrators played in students’ success, he pursued becoming a principal.
* Students of effective teachers can confidently answer “yes” to these two questions: Does my teacher care about me? Is my teacher committed to my success?
* How we see things determines our behavior which determines the results that we get.
* Power of popsicles: On his first day as principal, Matt used popsicles to build relationships with notorious troublemakers by empowering them to be leaders in their community, an approach that surprised veteran staff members.
* At our 2014 LAUNCH Leadership Conference, Matt shared the strategy he was using to lead young elementary students in setting + attaining goals which had a profound impact on influential business leaders.
* Live Inspired Coaching pillars:
* Find your one: what’s the one thing you want to get focused on this week?
* Stay in your circle: The only person we have control over is ourselves. If we’re not happy with the results that we’re given, go back to the top and ask, “how can I see this differently,’ or “who can help me see this differently?”
* Take the next right step.
* The Live Inspired Coaching program has empowered thousands of individuals achieve their personal + professional goals through our exclusive, personalized and unmatched process built on inspiration, personal leadership principles and individual accountability plans. Learn more here.
* “What we choose not to do is just as important as what we choose to do.”
* “The mind quits before the body.”
* As individuals, we need three things: A goal, plans to achieve that goal and agency of ourselves.
* Love family, love others. What are we grateful for?
* “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.” – Stephen Covey
* How to make 2021 your best year yet?
* What is the one thing I want to get better at?
* What is in your circle that you can do every day to take that next right step?
* What is a relationship that needs improvement in my life?
* Matt mentions how Live Inspired Podcast guest Doug Lindsay’s perspective on hope resonated deeply with him. Learn more about Doug + his resilient journey on ep. 322.
* Read the guest blog by Len Dino I referenced here.
* Transform your work. Transform your life. Learn more about our exclusive, personalized and unmatched process Live Inspired Coaching here.
* Gather + grow. Join our community of like-minded individuals in Live Inspired In Studio here.
MATT MILLER'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Free spirit.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? Handwritten notes from all the kids, parents and teachers but specifically the first note my dad ever wrote me as a freshman in college.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? All four of my grandparents and I want to tell them how appreciative I am.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? My wife Annie telling me to get my Master's when seeing my passion for teaching children.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Continue to think outside the box.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Loved family. Loved others. ***
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.