How To Know Which Supplements To Take When You Are TTC
Justine Altman joins us today as we’re digging into the basic supplements you need to know about if you are TTC.
There is a lot of information about which supplements are right for fertility.
And like most women that I speak with you are probably taking A LOT of supplements.
But are these supplements optimizing or harming your fertility?
And taking supplements for years and not really knowing WHY or if they are helpful...doesn’t make sense either!
As you may know, we take a functional approach to fertility and while supplements are included in our customized protocols (which are based on testing) - they are only a part of the equation.
Because there is no magic pill you can take that will out supplement the basics - such as diet, sleep, movement, and stress.
That’s why we wanted to talk about the BASIC supplements that we DO recommend for both men and women so that you don't waste time and money taking the wrong ones.
Today I'm welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception.
If you are struggling with infertility...your body is desperately trying to tell you something...focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with POCS and struggled with infertility but after taking a functional approach was able to have both her children naturally.
In this episode you'll learn:
1) How to watch out for dyes, fillers, and top allergens in your supplements
2) Our take on generalized fertility supplement recommendations (are they worth your money?) i.e. chastetree, maca, royal jelly, bee pollen, zinc, iron
3) Our basic (these are the supplements you need to be taking if you are TTC) supplement recommendations (your partner is included too!)
4) Our approach with supplements and why they are only part of the equation. We discuss the importance of diet, sleep, exercise, and stress so that you can prepare your body in the best way for pregnancy success.
05:29- JUSTINE'S BIO
06:19- WHY WE ARE ADDRESSING SUPPLEMENTS
* Why taking heaps of supplements can be problematic
* Why we are addressing supplements for both men and woman
* "You cannot out supplement the basics."
08:58- WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SUPPLEMENT INDUSTRY
* The importance of good quality supplements
* The harm low-quality supplements can have
* Should you buy supplements from Amazon? 12:23- GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS- SHOULD WE LISTEN?
* Supplements that might be helpful, but aren't always for everyone
14:10- BASIC SUPPLEMENTS- PRENATAL
* What you MUST have in your prenatal
16:34- MEN'S MULTIVITAMIN
19:52- OMEGA 3'S
* OMEGA 3's vs. OMEGA 6's
* Anti-inflammatory properties 21:03- VITAMIN D3 & K2
* Why is it important? Why do we take K2 with it?
26:00- USING PROBIOTICS WHILE TRYING TO REDUCE INFECTIONS
27:00- RECAP OF SUPPLEMENT BASICS
* How long should we be taking them?
* Which ones we should temporarily take vs. take long-term. 29:27- FINAL THOUGHTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
"Most of the supplements are not forever."
"One size does not fit all."
"We cannot out supplement any bad diet or lifestyle behaviors."
Sponsored by Fab Fertile Store. Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health. Visit https://www.fabfertilestore.com/
Book your Free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery Call here: https://intakeq.com/booking/cZ7XW6
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fabfertile/
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sesacoaching/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/fabfertile
* Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarahclarkfertilitycoach/
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page - filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases
SHOP here: https://fabfertile.com/resources/
Other ways to support:
Apple podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/get-pregnant-naturally/id1329414094
LEAVE APPLE PODCAST REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show! Together we are strong.
Functional Medicine 101 - https://www.fabfertile.com/blog/functional-medicine-101-and-your-fertility/
How Not To Waste Time When You Are TTC - https://www.fabfertile.com/blog/how-not-to-waste-time-when-you-are-ttc/
How To Optimize Sleep To Improve Your Fertility - https://www.fabfertile.com/blog/how-to-optimize-sleep-to-improve-your-fertility/