Ep. 95: Eating Disorders, Disordered Eating and ADHD with Aleta Storch
Join Tracy as she welcomes Aleta Storch to Episode 95 of ADHD for Smart Ass Women. Aleta has earned Master’s degrees in both Nutrition Science, Dietetics, and Clinical Health Psychology. She is an anti-diet Dietitian, Therapist, and Certified Body Trust Provider, specializing in eating disorders, autoimmune conditions, and ADHD. Her work is centered around helping folks move away from diet culture and instead develop an intuitive, trusting, compassionate relationship with food and movement. She firmly believes that everyone is the expert of their own body. When she is not focused on her work, she can typically be found skiing or foraging for mushrooms in the mountains, snuggled on the couch with her dog, partner, and a good book, or making a creative mess in the kitchen.
Aleta and Tracy talk about:
* The link between ADHD, disordered eating and eating disorders
* The grim statistics on bulimia and anorexia for ADHD women
* Which type of ADHD is the best predictor of an eating disorder in girls
* The circumstances surrounding Aleta’s own ADHD diagnosis
* Why she chose to study Nutrition Science and Psychology?
* The difference between disordered eating and eating disorders
* Why eating disorders and disordered eating are so prevalent in ADHD women?
* Reward Deficiency Syndrome (RDS) and how it relates to ADHD
* How problems with self-regulation and executive function deficits can lead to disordered eating and ultimately, eating disorders
* What the pyramid of food needs is
* How to use this pyramid to address disordered eating
* How Aleta uses the hunger and fullness scales
* What to do if you are in the middle of an eating disorder but think you can’t afford to get help?
* Aleta’s favorite resources for a good relationship with food, your body and yourself
* What Aleta thinks about intermittent fasting
* How meal delivery services can help
* Aleta’s new eating with ADHD program
* Aleta’s favorite ADHD workaround
Wise Heart Nutrition
Instagram: Wise Heart Nutrition
Understanding Girls with ADHD
Intuitive Eating, 4th Edition
Food Psych Podcast with Christy Harrison