Last episode I caught up with Dana Ashe who is passionate about the transformation potential of technology and its ability to positively impact peoples’ lives.
If you haven’t yet heard Episode 03 Love of new things you may want to listen to our chat about project management roles, complexity of transformations and has anything really changed.
I’ve been fortunate to work for and with Dana on three occasions in IT logistics and Project Delivery. She was my mentor during our time in Qld Government and I respect as well as learn from her insights.
Has project management changed in the past 20 years?
What we do as project managers hasn’t changed
- plan the change, monitor budgets, organise resources, track schedules, report progress…
How we go about project management has changed
- Adoption of different methodologies
- Engagement change model has moved from IT to the business
- Resource management is a blend of virtual teams
- Enterprise view of digital transformation over a long period of time with smaller steps delivering value along the way
- Revisit your project’s purpose, the WHY, has the business case been updated?
- Review the change impact assessment, is it relevant?
- If you have any alarm bells going off trust your yourself and ask for a governance meeting to get everyone on the same page
Quote from my conversation with Dana ‘we need finance and business case agility to match our technology agility’.