S4 E1 Pixar’s “Soul” was heartwarming -- but only for 5 seconds
“Soul” is a movie about death, about jazz, about longing and limitation. Since its premiere, many people in the U.S. and in China praise the movie for warming their hearts and nourishing their souls. As we immerse ourselves in the positivity the movie brings, we realize that this heartwarming feeling is temporary and its existence is closely tied to the vacuum of the movie’s unrealistic world. Life isn’t as black and white or as easy as the movie depicts it to be.
So how do we navigate the messy journey that is life? How do we live our lives while accepting that death is inevitable? Our hosts Ina and Afra sit down with our old friend and esteemed guest Yangyang Cheng to discuss Pixar’s new movie, “Soul.”
* 3:33 Afra shares how the movie prompted her to think about death
* 6:28 Yangyang talks about her personal experience with the movie and its faults in having a Black main character, but ultimately the movie isn’t a Black movie at all
* 13:49 The movie depicts life and death as choices that we can actively make, which isn’t realistic at all
* 17:54 what is the “purpose” of life? Or are we talking about the “meaning” of life? Yangyang shares how the meaning of life can be inherently a capitalist notion as modern society associate life meaning with one’s career
* 27:00 the concept of time in life and how it helps us define our lives, with a nod to “The Good Place”
* 38:52 sometimes we believe there’s a higher being in existence and as humans, we always strive to achieve this higher ground as a part of our legacy on this Earth
* 40:05 Yangyang muses on writing, self-actualization, and the meaning of life!
* 44:50 “Soul” has a main character who’s Black, but ultimately it’s a mainstream story that’s inherently white
P.S. We debuted a new intro for season 4! Tremendous thanks to our fantastic editor Joshua for custom-editing this intro for us.
Find Loud Murmurs in the iTunes podcast store, Google Play, Spotify, and wherever you listen to podcasts (e.g. Pocket Casts, Overcast)! Please subscribe, enjoy, and feel free to drop us a note and leave us a review.
* RSS feed: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/258327.rss
* Itunes: https://apple.co/2VAVf0Z
* Google play: goo.gl/KjRYPN
* Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2IWNuRB
* Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=544416&refid=stpr
* Pocket Cast: http://pca.st/nLid
* Overcast: https://bit.ly/2SL7MNJ Please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any business inquiries.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs)