Clay reviews Guy Spier’s book, The Education of a Value Investor. Guy Spier is a renowned hedge fund manager who has beaten the S&P 500 by almost 250 percentage points since launching the Aquamarine Fund in 1997. He has also been a guest on We Study Billionaires several times, including episode #14 released all the way back in 2014.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:27 - Guy’s story and background, and the critical mistakes he learned from the journey.
06:39 - How studying Tony Robbins and Warren Buffett changed his life.
19:48 - How writing handwritten letters helped Guy forge and develop extremely valuable and fulfilling relationships.
23:20 - What led Guy to purchase a charity lunch with Warren Buffett.
43:54 - What he learned from experiencing the great financial crisis as a fund manager.
51:45 - Why Guy values fulfillment and a life well-lived over money.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
NEW TO THE SHOW?
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get position and investment info for nearly 6,000 Asset Management Companies with Moomoo, Australia’s first A.I. powered trading platform. Sign up and fund your moomoo account before October 31 and get $10 for every $100 you deposit. All investment carries risk. AFSL 224 663. T&Cs apply.
- Get personalized, expert advice that helps you see things clearly with ATB.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Talk to your clients about Desjardins Responsible Investment today and support what’s right for society and what’s good for business.
- Take stock of your finances and investing strategy with Betterment.
- Guess less and sell more with the Number 1 email marketing and automation brand, Intuit Mailchimp.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital‘s Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Get insider access to the people and ideas at the edge of innovation with the chart-topping podcast from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, The a16z Podcast.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!