420: Finding the “Sweet Spot” in Multifamily: Scaling to 150+ Units with David Grabiner
David Grabiner takes the term “long distance investor” to the extreme. While he was a hospital administrator in the Democratic Republic of Congo, he was calling real estate agents in Chattanooga, Tennessee trying to scoop up multifamily deals.
David started out by partnering up with his father, buying a quadplex that helped him get his initial training in property management. He later scaled up his and his father’s investment portfolio to 24 units, and then, within 3 years, scaled up his own investments to 150+ units!
This meant that David had to quit his job and go full-time into real estate investing. He did it, and he isn’t looking back! Now David is a deal-finding machine, buying directly from listing agents and becoming one of the go-to multifamily investors in Chattanooga.
Whether you own one single family home, a dozen duplexes, or hundreds of apartment complexes, you’ll take something away from David’s in depth discussion on property management, landlording, and tenant screening.
In This Episode We Cover:
* Finding your “unfair advantage” and how it can help your investing career
* Approaching different investors with different points of view
* The importance of networking for off-market deals
* Why you shouldn’t be scared to be “the owner”, and actually use it to market yourself to others
* How to find, screen, and keep tenants in place
* How you can quickly increase a property’s value (simply by being a great property manager)
* Finding the “sweet spot” in multi-family deals
* Setting up systems for automated property management (so you can scale!)
* And SO much more!
Links from the Show
* BiggerPockets Forums
* David's Instagram
* Brandon's Instagram
* BiggerPockets Podcast
* Collegedale Credit Union
* BiggerPockets Podcast 362: Big Goals? Here’s How to Get Your Spouse or Partner on Board with Jay and Wendy Papasan
* BiggerPockets Podcast 260: The Ultimate Guide to Negotiating (for the Negotiation-Averse) With Former FBI Hostage Negotiator Chris Voss
* Rent Manager
Check the full show notes here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/show420