Descent into the Unknown: Inside the Greenland Ice Cap with Red Bull Photographer Christian Pondella
Follow Red Bull photographer Christian Pondella as he descends inside the Greenland Ice Cap, a place that no one had ever gone before. Greenland is one of the most remote and extreme countries on Earth. 80% of its surface is covered in ice, temperatures can reach -65°C. But it holds the second largest ice sheet on the planet, and it’s melting fast. Christian teams up with legendary ice climber Will Gadd, and glaciologist Jason Gulley, to go deeper into the ice than anyone has ever gone before. Their expedition is fraught with danger, but the science they would bring would back change our understanding of climate change, sea level rise and the future of our planet. This is more than just an adventure. This is a descent into the unknown.
*Highlights include: *
· *Descend into a moulin*, a dark hole in the ice where meltwater from the glacier surface rushes into depths below
· *Explore inside the abyss,* a place no one has ever gone before
· *Discover Greenland*, one of the most remote and extreme places on the planet
· * Learn about the cutting climate science *being done now on the Greenland ice cap, and how this expedition changed the fundamental models scientists were using to predict sea level rise over the coming decades.
· *Hear about Christian’s incredible career *as Red Bull photographer, including shooting a 300-ft snowmobile jump and a world-first sky dive without a parachute. You read that right.
· *Get Christian’s top tips for adventure photography *and how to create that perfect shot
* Christian Pondella *is one of the top adventure sports photographers in the world. As well as shooting for Red Bull, he is a senior photographer for Powder Magazine, a San Disk Extreme Team member, Fstop Global Pro, he has published work in Sports Illustrated, ESPN Magazine, Outside, Men’s Journal, Maxim, FHM, GQ, Climbing, Outdoor Photographer, Shutterbug, and a variety of other publications throughout the world.
Follow Christian’s work: Instagram @ChristianPondella / www.ChristianPondella.com
Cover image Christian Pondella / Red Bull Content Pool
*Thank you to Mammoth Lakes for sponsoring this episode! *Majestic in scale and awesome in its natural beauty, the year-round adventureland of Mammoth Lakes is one of those rare places that you have to see to still not totally believe. The name speaks to the size of the mountains, the expanse of the valleys, the incredible number of crystal clear mountain lakes and the endless opportunities for adventure just outside your door. But what makes this place really unique are the surreal storybook scenes that drop jaws, spark the imagination and make every moment feel like a brush with the truly incredible. For more info: www.visitmammoth.com
F*or background information* on this episode, including Christian's photos from the trip, please visit: https://www.armchair-explorer.com/post/descent-into-the-unknown-inside-the-greenland-ice-cap-with-red-bull-photographer-christian-pondella
*Social media*: Instagram & Facebook: @armchairexplorerpodcast
*Armchair Explorer*: the world's greatest adventurers tell their best story from the road. Each episode is cut documentary style with music and cinematic effects to create an immersive storytelling experience. No long-winded interviews, just straight to the heart of the action
'Best travel podcasts 2020' - The Guardian
'Thrilling stuff' - Sunday Times
'Adventure stories from the wildest places on Earth' - The Telegraph
'Best Overall Podcast 2020' - Finalist DiscoverPods Awards