282: Listen and Learn -- Duty of Loyalty (Corporations)
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! In today's episode, we're talking about the duty of loyalty owed by directors and officers of a corporation, and the main types of conduct they are prohibited to engage in.
In this episode we discuss:
* A review of the rule for duty of loyalty
* The four types of prohibited conduct when the officer's interest is placed before that of the corporation
* The situations in which a conflict of interest occurs
* Usurpation of a corporate opportunity
* Other topics that duty of loyalty is often tested with
* Analyzing three hypos from California bar exam essays involving duty of loyalty
* “Listen and Learn” series (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/law-school-toolbox-podcast-substantive-law-topics/#listen-learn)
* California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, July 2015 (https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/documents/admissions/gbx/July2015_CBXSelectedAnswers_EssayQuestions1-6_R.pdf)
* California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, February 2009 (https://juraxbar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/February-2009-CBX.pdf)
* California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, February 2002 (https://juraxbar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/February-2002-CBX.pdf)
* Examples & Explanations: Corporations, by Alan R. Palmiter (https://www.amazon.com/Corporations-Examples-Explanations-Alan-Palmiter/dp/1454802472)
* Podcast Episode 280: Listen and Learn – Piercing the Corporate Veil (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-280-listen-and-learn-piercing-the-corporate-veil/)
* Corporations 101 – A Quick Look at Upperclassmen Courses (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/corporations-101-a-quick-look-at-upperclassmen-courses/)
Download the Transcript
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee