Ep 197: A Deschooling Word About Boundaries, Babies, and Business Trelani Michelle (of Krak Teet) on dating, parenting, and professional pursuits
This week on #fofcpod, we're talking about boundaries - ways to affirm them, and ways to honor the development of boundaries as they show up, shift us, and determine so many elements of how we show up in our bodies and in our relationships. Listen in as Trelani Michelle, our modern-day Zora Neale Hurston, offers some sweet and insightful storytelling about the recognition and re-affirming of her boundaries in her work, her parenting practice, and in her dating life. Trelani also shares the origins of her celebrated project, Krak Teet: A Catalog of Savannah’s Black-in-the-Day Biographies that centers the life experiences of native Gullah Geechee elders from 1920 on through to 1970.
*WHAT WE DISCUSS*
*How shedding/deschooling ain’t just about habits, but can also include relationships.*
Trelani and Akilah talk about the shedding elements of deschooling. Shedding, in essence, is about stopping certain established patterns or norms that are out of alignment with what you’re learning about your authentic self -- your thoughts, your body, your actions, and what best suits your healing and liberation process. Trelani’s deschooling process led to many shifts, including divorce. It also aligned her with many things, including the 10-fold rewards that came with her decision NOT to conform, but instead to affirm her boundaries.
*Teaching with Consent*
They also talk about some of the dynamics around teaching and learning and how those dynamics support a deeper layer of understanding and acceptance that doesn’t compromise each other’s boundaries. Trelani shares her experience with Kobe, her 11-year-old daughter, and how they are getting acquainted with each other’s boundaries, and developing what Akilah describes as a set of vital life skills that are developed, in practice, over time.
* Not feeling all the positive, uplifting energies right now? Akilah wrote a short book for you about it. Check it: Perfectly Rational Reasons To Be Okay With Not Being Okay: A Self-Care Guide For Embracing Your Feelings Even When They Are Negative (The Radical Self-Expression eBook Series 1)
* Raising Free People Network’s Presence Counselors Leslie Bray and Anthony Galloway, Jr. are here to support unschooling and deschooling processes for families and organizations
* Hosting, or are part of, a Raising Free People Book Club? Tell us by emailing Fatima@raisingfreepeople.com with the details about that book club. Akilah would love to come through, right quick!
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel!
* Join patreon.com/akilah and help make sure we can do this again and again
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/akilah)