Daily: FUTURE IRELANDS – Northern Ireland special edition
Will Brexit really lead to Ireland reunifying and leaving the Union, in a final irony for English nationalism? In a special edition on the future of the island of Ireland we talk to Neale Richmond (Fine Gael TD for Dublin Rathdown), Ulster Unionist Party MLA and former leader Mike Nesbitt, and Claire Hanna (SDLP MP for Belfast South). Is the rancour finally leaching out of Northern Irish politics? Will a European identity trump a British one?Is a border poll really coming? And what do people in the Irish Republic really think of Boris Johnson?
“Sinn Fein are the greatest force against a united Ireland.” – Neale Richmond
* “I am an Ulsterman, but I’m also Irish, British, and European…if you were to deny me any part of that mixture, you will diminish who I am.” – Mike Nesbitt
* “It’s not the territory that’s divided, it’s the people.” – Claire Hanna
* “The UK leaving the EU means the greatest vehicle for co-operation on the island of Ireland is ending.” – Neale Richmond
* “The government in Westminster wants to possess Northern Ireland like a toddler wants to possess a toy.” – Claire Hanna
* “Sinn Fein are the greatest force against a united Ireland.” – Neale Richmond
* “We need to get away from the idea that we're pure Brit or pure Gael, because very few of us are.” – Mike Nesbitt
Presented by Naomi Smith. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producers Jelena Sofronijevic and Jacob Archbold. Music by Kenny Dickinson. Audio production by Alex Rees. THE BUNKER is a Podmasters Production
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.