Michael David Wilson is the founder of the popular UK horror website, podcast, and small press, This Is Horror. He's a professional writer, editor, and podcaster, and has worked for such companies as 2000 AD, Terrorizer, and Broken River Books. His brand-new novella, The Girl in the Video will be published via Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on 28 April 2020, with a second novella, House of Bad Memories, to be published by Grindhouse Press in 2021.
Michael's work has appeared in numerous other publications including The NoSleep Podcast, Dark Moon Digest, LitReactor, Hawk & Cleaver’s The Other Stories, and Scream. He is also a professional ESL Teacher and graduate of the University of Warwick’s English Literature and Creative Writing Programme.
In this episode we go deep into:
- How Michael cut his teeth with writing
- Putting your money where your mouth is as a writer
- Using challenges to keep yourself motivated in writing
- Sharing the gift of storytelling with those younger than you to pass the torch
- The power of building the writing habit
- The difference between writing, and writing-tangential activities
- Tips for receiving free games, writing journalistic columns, and exercising entrepreneurship
- How changing diet and exploring health laid foundations for building writing habits
- Not having to wait for luck, taking ownership of your life, and creating your own opportunities
- The journey that led to the inception of This Is Horror and its following success
- Confronting your fears
- The first few weeks of This Is Horror
- Mental health and how that can affect your writing
- The more you do things, the easier they become
- Taking time to recharge when you need to, and prioritizing your health
- Giving yourself permission to not be okay
- How ’The Girl in the Video’ came to be born
- Leaning towards hybrid and finding the rewards of both sides of publishing
- Utilizing the bookstagram community to deliver a cover reveal
- What impact Michael wants to have from his writing.
Michael answers questions from Patrons:
- Ian J. Middleton: are there any common mistakes you see from first time horror writers when it comes to short stories and novels?
Find out more about Michael:
Links from the show:
Special thanks to:
Intro vocals: Persephone Rose
Show theme: Karl Hughes
Become a Patron of the show! Get exclusive bonus content, find your tribe, and get early access to all episodes.
Thank you to my patrons:
Ian J Middleton
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.