The Welcomed Consensus + OneTaste – Part 1
Natasha Tiku wrote for Gawker in 2013, “Everyone is interested in doing fun things with their bodies. But the impulse to systematize, replicate, package, sell, and build an ideology around it is uniquely Silicon Valley.” She was writing about an organisation that was monetising the female orgasm. And they weren’t the only ones doing so.
Guests: Christine Talbott Acosta, Ruwan Meepagala, Sasha Nelson
Full research sources listed on each episode page at www.ltaspod.com. You can support the creation of this independent podcast at www.patreon.com/ltaspod.
With thanks to Audio-Technica, presenting partner for season 4 of Let's Talk About Sects.
If you have been personally affected by involvement in a cult, or would like to support those who have been, you can find support or donate to Cult Information and Family Support if you’re in Australia (via www.cifs.org.au), and you can find resources outside of Australia with the International Cultic Studies Association (via www.icsahome.com).
If you or someone you know is in crisis or needs support right now, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 in Australia, or find your local crisis centre via the International Association for Suicide Prevention website at www.iasp.info. For sexual assault resources in Australia, visit www.1800respect.org.au, and in the USA, visit www.rainn.org.
Written and hosted by Sarah Steel
Music by Joe Gould
Engineered by Andrei Patrushev
Edited by Corey Green of Transducer Audio
* The Pleasure Principle — by Patricia Leigh Brown and Carol Pogash, New York Times, 13 March 2009
* Lafayette Morehouse — official website, accessed October 2020
* Lafayette Morehouse, Inc. v. The Chronicle Publishing Co., No. A067522. — 37 Cal. App. 4th 855, 44 Cal. Rptr. 2d 46, California Court of Appeal, First District, Division 5, 9 August 1995
* Sgt. Bilko Meets The New Culture — by Robin Green, Rolling Stone, 9 December 1971
* Inside The Purple People House, The Freaky, Stand-Offish Sex Cult In Northern California — by Anna Lindwasser, Ranker, 7 November 2018