The Audio PANCE and PANRE is an audio board review series that includes 10 Multiple Choice PANCE and PANRE Board Review Questions in each episode.
I hope you enjoy this free audio component to the examination portion of this site. The full series is available to all members of the PANCE and PANRE Academy.
The Audio PANCE and PANRE Episode 15
1. A patient with prostate cancer has a nonpalpable, focal lesion, and the patient is reluctant to have surgery at this time. Which of the following would best monitor disease progression?
A. Periodic rectal exams
B. Transrectal ultrasonography
C. Measurements of serum acid phosphatase
D. Measurements of prostate-specific antigen
2. If a woman has a normal 28-day menstrual cycle what tissue and hormonal phase occurs during the last 14 days
A. Proliferative follicular phase under the influence of estrogen.
B. Secretory luteal phase under the influence of estrogen and progesterone.
C. Proliferative follicular phase under the influence of estrogen and progesterone.
D. Secretory luteal phase under the influence of estrogen
3. A 24 year-old male presents for routine physical examination. On physical examination, you find that the patient’s upper extremity blood pressure is higher than the blood pressure in the lower extremity. Heart exam reveals a late systolic murmur heard best posteriorly. What is the most likely diagnosis in this patient?
A. Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy
B. Patent foramen ovale
C. Coarctation of the aorta
D. Patent ductus arteriosus
4. A mother brings a 3 month-old infant to the office because she is concerned about a red, vascular, nodular growth on the child’s back. It appears to be enlarging slightly and the vessels are slightly dilated. It seems to cause the child no discomfort. The most likely diagnosis is
A. a hemangioma.
B. a pigmented nevus.
C. a salmon patch (stork bite).
D. a malignant melanoma.
5. A 45 year-old male with Type 1 diabetes presents with the following lipid panel: Total cholesterol 321 mg/dL; Triglycerides 225 mg/dL; HDL 30 mg/dL; LDL 155 mg/dL. The treatment of choice for this patient is
A. Nicotinic acid (Niacin).
B. Cholestyramine (Questran).
C. Gemfibrozil (Lopid).
D. Simvastatin (Zocor).
6. A 45 year-old male presents with abdominal pain and one episode of mild hematemesis, which happened days ago. On physical examination, vital signs are stable and he is in no acute distress. Hemoglobin and hematocrit are unremarkable; endoscopy reveals non-bleeding small superficial ulceration of the duodenal bulb. Rapid urease test is positive. Which of the following is the most appropriate treatment at this time?
A. Schedule for a selective vagotomy and antrectomy
B. Start an antacid along with omeprazole (Prilosec)
C. Schedule elective ulcer excision and start sucralfate (Carafate)
D. Start omeprazole (Prilosec) and antibiotic therapy against H. pylori
7. A 19 year-old female presents with a sore throat for nearly two weeks. She complains of fatigue and a low-grade fever. On physical examination, there is cervical, axillary, and inguinal lymphadenopathy, and mild splenomegaly. On review of the blood smear, which of the following would be expected?
A. Atypical lymphocytes
B. Hypersegmented neutrophils
C. Hypochromic red blood cells
8. Which of the following increases the risk of developing testicular cancer?
A. Low socioeconomic status
B. History of cryptorchidism
C. Multiple episodes of epididymitis
D. Being of African-American ethnicity
9. A 17 year-old patient presents to the emergency department with agitation and hallucinations, and has one seizure. He admits to using “some drugs” but does not know what they were. On physical examination, temperature is 103 degrees F, BP 140/90, pulse 120, respirations 20. Remainder of the examination is unremarkable. Which of the following diagnostic studies will be of most help in managing this patient?
A. Drug screen
B. Urine dipstick
C. Complete blood count
D. Serum creatinine kinase
10. Which of the following medications is the treatment of choice for patients with chronic gout to prevent recurrence of symptoms during its quiescent phase?
A. Probenecid (Benemid)
B. Allopurinol (Zyloprim)
D. Indomethacin (Indocin)
This FREE series is limited to every other episode, you can download and enjoy the complete audio series by joining The PANCE and PANRE Exam Academy.
I will be be releasing new episodes every two weeks. The Academy is currently discounted, so sign up now.
The post The Audio PANCE and PANRE Board Review Podcast Episode 15 appeared first on The Audio PANCE and PANRE.