Dr. Gerold Baier joins me from the UK to discuss machine learning, and his research into algorithmic approaches in disease. He’s been researching rhythms and patterns in epilepsy with the hope that one day, we can predict seizures before they happen!
- (0:00:55) Biochemistry and decoding the rhythms of the human brain.
- (0:02:13) The MEG and the study of epilepsy.
- (0:03:45) Using rhythm and audio recordings.
- (0:05:10) Epilepsy and the rhythms of seizures.
- (0:06:07) The goals: Being able to stop a seizure.
- (0:07:36) Implantation and the future.
- (0:08:36) Surgery vs the needle: Lessening the destruction of brain tissue.
- (0:10:04) The current solution: Cutting and burning the tissue.
- (0:11:13) Machine learning and data science.
- (0:11:58) What is machine learning?
- (0:14:22) Isolating the rhythms.
- (0:15:03) What causes a seizure?
- (0:16:10) Where we are now with research: Identifying and classifying.
- (0:18:03) The upcoming study in Beijing.
- (0:19:20) The current scientific approach: A new approach is needed.
- (0:21:09) Algorithms: The mathematical vs the physiological.
- (0:21:53) Brain computer interfaces.
- (0:23:10) Are there any limits to understanding the human brain?
- (0:24:05) The auditory background in your brain.
- (0:27:13) Psychedelics and the brain.
- (0:30:31) Meditation, the brain and your inner self.
- (0:31:49) Creativity and the collaboration of networks.
- (0:33:38) Why use Python in machine learning?
- (0:35:20) Where Python is used: Teaching and research.
- (0:36:11) Python: Not the only language used.
- (0:37:10) The future and artificial intelligence: A good idea?
- (0:39:36) Seeing the danger and vulnerability.
- (0:42:03) Decoding the diseases: How close are we?
- (0:43:50) The consuming process of data points.
- (0:45:06) Studying nature.
- (0:46:17) Mexico and settling in the United Kingdom.
- (0:47:40) Other collaborations: Working with the Children's Hospital.
- (0:49:01) Teaching in China.
Dr. Baier’s bio at UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/people/gerold-baier
Follow Dr. Baier on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GeroldBaier
Visit Planet B612 on the web: http://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld