Michelle Lavery is a Program Associate with Open Philanthropy’s Farm Animal Welfare team, with a focus on the science and study of animal behaviour & welfare.
You can see more links and a full transcript at hearthisidea.com/episodes/lavery
In this episode we talk about:
- How do scientists study animal emotions in the first place? How is a "science" of animal emotion even feasible?
- When is it useful to anthropomorphise animals to understand them?
- How can you study the preferences of animals? How can you measure the “strength” of preferences?
- How do farmed animal welfare advocates relate to animal welfare science? Are their perceptions fair?
- How can listeners get involved with the study of animal emotions?
You can get in touch through our website or on Twitter. Consider leaving us an honest review wherever you're listening to this — it's the best free way to support the show. Thanks for listening!