Luke Freeman is the Executive Director of Giving What We Can. Before this, he was a entrepreneur and marketing specialist, including co-founding Positly.
In this episode we discuss:
- [00:01:52] Background: History of EA
- [00:04:02] Luke's story: Discovering EA
- [00:09:30] Foreign Aid: Myths and valid critiques
- [00:14:58] Evidence: RCTs and the ITN framework
- [00:20:12] News: "Man bites dog"
- [00:26:35] GWWC: Taking the pledge
- [00:43:43] Donations: Risk and hidden zeros
- [00:46:41] GWWC: Common misconceptions
- [00:51:34] Entrepreneurship: Positly and WEIRD science
- [00:54:31] Tech: Market for Donations
- [01:05:46] Final questions: Change in mind and book recommendations
You can read much more on these topics in our accompanying write-up: https://hearthisidea.com/episodes/luke
If you have any feedback or suggestions for future guests, please get in touch through our website. Please also consider leaving us a review wherever you're listening to this. If you want to support the show more directly and help us keep hosting these episodes online, consider leaving a tip at https://www.tips.pinecast.com/jar/hear-this-idea. Thanks for listening!