Liv Boeree is a former poker champion turned science communicator and podcaster, with a background in astrophysics. In 2014, she founded the nonprofit Raising for Effective Giving, which has raised more than $14 million for effective charities. Before retiring from professional poker in 2019, Liv was the Female Player of the Year for three years running. Currently she hosts the Win-Win podcast (you’ll enjoy it if you enjoy this podcast).
You can see more links and a full transcript at hearthisidea.com/episodes/boeree.
In this episode we talk about:
- Is the ‘poker mindset’ valuable? Is it learnable?
- How and why to bet on your beliefs — and whether there are outcomes you shouldn’t make bets on
- Would cities be better without public advertisements?
- What is Moloch, and why is it a useful abstraction?
- How do we escape multipolar traps?
- Why might advanced AI (not) act like profit-seeking companies?
- What’s so important about complexity? What is complexity, for that matter?
You can get in touch through our website or on Twitter. Consider leaving us an honest review wherever you're listening to this — it's the best free way to support the show. Thanks for listening!