Apr 20, 2023
#62 – Anders Sandberg on Exploratory Engineering, Value Diversity, and Grand Futures
Anders Sandberg is a researcher, futurist, transhumanist and author. He holds a PhD in computational neuroscience from Stockholm University, and is currently a Senior Research Fellow at the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford. His research covers human enhancement, exploratory engineering, and 'grand futures' for humanity.
This episode is a recording of a live interview at EAGx Cambridge (2023). You can find upcoming effective altruism conferences here: www.effectivealtruism.org/ea-global
We talk about:
* What is exploratory engineering and what is it good for?
* Progress on whole brain emulation
* Are we near the end of humanity's tech tree?
* Is diversity intrinsically valuable in grand futures?
* How Anders does research
* Virtue ethics for civilisations
* Anders' takes on AI risk and whether LLMs are close to general intelligence
* And much more!
Further reading and a transcript is available on our website: hearthisidea.com/episodes/sandberg-live
If you have any feedback, you can get a free book for filling out our new feedback form. You can also get in touch through our website or on Twitter. Consider leaving us a review wherever you're listening to this — it's the best free way to support the show. Thanks for listening!