Making Artisanal Gelato in Vietnam
Andrea Taviani is the founder and head ice cream experimentalist at SAPORI D’ITALIA. Let's talk to him about life in Vietnam and making gelato that really satisfies!
Andrea's Links: https://www.facebook.com/saporiditaliavietnam/ Instagram: @sapori__ditalia @aot81
Thomas's Links: https://dxsaigon.com IG/TW: @dxSaigon
This episode is also available on Youtube: https://youtu.be/sK6U8Cqf9cw
Table of Contents:
- 00:38 - Intro / Un Espresso
- 02:46 - Starting a Business in Vietnam
- 05:37 - Sourcing Ingredients
- 07:23 - Creating "Dolce Far Niente"
- 10:06 - Foreign Food Prices
- 12:03 - Doing Things The Old Fashioned Way
- 15:01 - Vietnamese Ingredients in Ice Cream
- 20:26 - Andrea's Cultural Background
- 22:40 - The Most Challenging Thing So Far (construction)
- 25:20 - Cultural Differences
- 32:28 - Driving in Vietnam
- 39:27 - Foreign Ghettos and Assimilation
- 41:52 - Eating Local
- 43:14 - Ice Cream Reactions: Thomas and Saigonese
- 45:05 - Language Barrier and Learning Vietnamese
- 51:55 - Customer Satisfaction in Italian
- 01:05:10 - Goodbyes and Such
#foodie #gelato #icecream #vietnam #saigon #italian #dolcefarniente #podcast #designexchange #dxp
This episode is brought to you by Séfu, creators of The Switch Bag, the bag that lets you bring your Nintendo Switch with you, everywhere you go! Use code DXP for free shipping and a 15% discount!
This episode is also made possible by Pinecast. After weeks of evaluating podcast hosts, we decided to go with Pinecast because you can get unlimited episodes, storage, and bandwidth for only $5 per month. That's a great value and if you use coupon code r-4b5077 you'll get 40% off for 4 months!