Are you wondering why we’re so excited about our new vitamin C serum, Restore? Aside from the purity of this amazing elixir for your face we’re diving into the top 10 reasons you want, really really want, a vitamin c serum in your daily skincare regimen. And just wait until you hear the BONUS reason.
* * *
RESTORE - Vitamin C Serum
* * *
Ready for a little vocabulary lesson?
senescence - / suh·neh·sns/ [link to pronunciation]
Used in: BIOLOGY
the condition or process of deterioration with age.
loss of a cell's power of division and growth.
When it comes to our skin, we spend an inordinate amount of money battling – because it feels like a battle sometimes – the telltale signs of aging, but how effective are the products?
This is something we’ve been curious about and we researched. Boy, did we research. In episodes 55 and 56 we discussed the Top 12 Ingredients to Avoid in your personal care products. This week we do a deep dive into the anti-aging of our skin and shine the spotlight on Vitamin C Serums.
What’s a vitamin C serum?
If you are over 30 and actively trying to combat the signs of aging, you’ve likely heard of vitamin C serum.
Essentially, vitamin C serum is an oil- and water-based liquid that contains highly concentrated amounts of vitamin C.
Serums are different from cremes and other products with vitamin C because of the significantly higher concentrations, which allow people to get the most out of the product and see more noticeable results.
Vitamin C is touted as one of the best anti-aging ingredients on the market — and the key to maintaining a smooth, even, and glowy complexion.
Although you’re probably getting vitamin C in your diet, there’s no way to guarantee that it’s going straight to your skin. Using serums and other topical products is the most direct way to reap these benefits.
Not All Serums Are Alike
First, let's take a look at what basic characteristics an ideal Vitamin C serum should have:
- It needs to have 15% to 20% Vitamin C.
- Has to be Paraben-free and contain no colorants or fragrances in order to protect the efficacy of the Vitamin C.
- Be combined with Vitamin E to achieve the best results.
- Contain Hyaluronic Acid, Ferulic Acid, or preferably both to make the serum super effective.
- Be manufactured in protective packaging in order to delay the oxidization of the serum.
Another point that we’d like to make has to do with the size of the Vitamin C serum bottle. Most common sizes are at 1oz. Based on personal experience, usually one can go through 75% of the 1 oz bottle before it starts to oxidize. Purchasing a 2oz or a 3oz bottle means you’re throwing your money down the drain!
Top 10 Reasons Your Skin Wants a Vitamin C Serum
- It’s safe for most skin types
- Many people opt for topical vitamin C as opposed to other chemical serums and skin care products because vitamin C serum is completely natural. There is no concern about how your skin is going to react because there are no harsh chemicals or other questionable ingredients. As a result, vitamin C serums are formulated and infused to be gentle enough for everyday use. The same simply cannot be said of many other skin care products on the market.
- Promotes collagen production
- We did an episode on collagens, Episode #15, and it’s been extremely popular. We think it’s partly due to the fact that the bane of any woman’s existence are fine lines and wrinkles. But rather than give into the abyss of aging, the regular use of vitamin C products can combat their very appearance because of their concentrated levels of antioxidant-rich vitamin C, which helps boost collagen production, filling in fine lines and wrinkles. As a result, you may find that you have more youthful looking skin without the need for any expensive and potentially risky cosmetic work! Top that by adding our Clean Sourced Collagens into your daily diet and you have a one-two punch!
- Protects skin from sun damage
- In addition to its anti-aging benefits, topical vitamin C is also great for protecting your skin from damage—especially from the sun's UVA and UVB rays. That's because vitamin C is an antioxidant, so it naturally helps to strengthen your skin and repel things that could damage it. Of course, topical vitamin C should not be considered an alternative to wearing sunscreen, but when combined with regular sunscreen application, it can really work wonders for your skin.
- Reduces under-eye circles
- Vitamin C has also been found to help even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of under-eye circles. This is great for those who are tired of trying to conceal the dark circles under their eyes and want to enjoy a more youthful, bright, and vibrant appearance.
- Speeds up healing
- Studies have also found that high levels of Vitamin C can help to speed up the body's natural healing processes. This makes it ideal for use on the face and other areas of skin, as it can help to heal small cuts, acne scars, and other blemishes more quickly and effectively.
- Reduces skin discoloration
- If you suffer from skin redness or other discoloration of the skin, then a quality vitamin C serum may also be able to help you achieve a more uniform skin tone and better complexion. Specifically, vitamin C is great for reducing embarrassing redness. With just a few uses, you may find that you have a more even skin tone.
- Keeps skin looking and feeling younger
- No matter what your age, it's always a good idea to be preemptive about avoiding wrinkles, sagging skin, fine lines, and other signs of aging. Vitamin C can help your skin look younger for longer, not only by stimulating collagen production, but by evening out your skin tone and brightening your complexion as well.
- Improves hydration and moisture
- If you suffer from dry skin, vitamin C is a must. This is especially true if you have tried using moisturizers and cremes in the past, only to find that your skin is still dry and flaky. With topical vitamin C products, you can enjoy the high concentration of vitamins that your body truly needs to improve moisture content and overall hydration.
- Creates brighter, healthier skin
- In addition to improving your skin's overall complexion, vitamin C can brighten otherwise dull skin, allowing it to look healthier and more vibrant. Strong concentrations of this vitamin leave the skin looking and feeling replenished and revitalized.
- Reduces Inflammation
- It has also been found that vitamin C, in high enough concentrations, has inflammation-reducing qualities. This is ideal for people who tend to wake up in the morning with unsightly puffiness around the eyes or other areas of the skin/face. A little bit of vitamin C serum can go a long way here.
BONUS Benefit! Because who doesn’t like a bonus?!
- Speeds Up Healing of Sunburns
- in addition to protecting your skin from sun damage, vitamin C can also be effective in helping to speed up healing of sunburns. Apply some after you have been sun burned, and the vitamins will help to promote faster healing so you can get rid of redness and find relief from itching, burning, and other symptoms associated with sunburn.
These are just some of the many benefits of vitamin C as it pertains to your skin and face. And while it's easy to go out and find lotions, cremes, and other moisturizers at your local drug store that claim to contain vitamin C, it's important to realize that your skin needs a very high concentration of this vitamin in order to see results. This is why you're encouraged to use concentrated serums rather than a basic creme or lotion.
Where Can You Get A Good Vitamin C Serum?
- The reason that we went down this rabbit hole is because we got a lot of emails asking about skincare, and just like supplements, once we started investigating, the truth was disturbing. And so, we felt inspired to go down that rabbit hole as far as we could and actually create our own vitamin C serum that followed all of our guidelines. We made sure that it had zero preservatives, has more vitamin C, and a clean, organic vitamin C than anything else out on the market. Hyaluronic acid. It has amazing ingredients inside of our vitamin C serum that you’re not going to find anywhere else.
* * *
Deeper Dive Resources
Empowering You Organically Podcast on Collagen
Empowering You Organically Podcast on Skincare
Part 1 – Top 12 Skincare Ingredients That Are Slowly Killing You
Part 2 – Top 12 Skincare Ingredients That Are Slowly Killing You
Organixx Vitamin C Serum
Subscribe to Empowering You Organically Never miss an episode! APPLE PODCASTS SPOTIFY GOOGLE PODCASTS