Topic: A short introduction to Taiwan.
Taiwan, an island in the western Pacific Ocean, is about 100 miles (160 km) off the coast of
southeastern China. It is shaped like a tobacco leaf. The total land area of Taiwan is only about
36,000 square kilometers, the size of the Netherlands. It is about 245 miles (395 km) long
(north-south) and 90 miles (145 km) across at its widest point. To the west is the Taiwan Strait,
which separates Taiwan from the Chinese mainland. Taiwan’s climate is subtropical. Summers
are long and hot, and the winters are short and mild. Taiwan has a total population of 23 million:
about 97% are either Minnan or Hakka, 1% are immigrants from overseas, 2 % are indigenous
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
be shaped like
-- Italy is shaped like a boot.
--The DNA molecule is shaped like a twisted ladder.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. island [ˈaɪlənd] (n.) 島，島嶼
2. mile [maɪl] (n.) 英里（長度單位，相當於 1760 碼或 1.6 公里）
3. off the coast (phr.) 在外海
4. southeastern [ˌsaʊθˈistɚn] (adj.) 東南的，來自東南的
5. be shaped like (phr.) 形狀像
6. tobacco leaf [təˈbæko lif] (n.) 煙草葉
7. total [ˈtotəl] (adj.) 總的，全部的
8. separate [ˈsɛpəret] (v.) （使）分離；（使）分開
9. subtropical [ˌsʌbˈtrɑpɪkəl] (adj.) 亞熱帶的，副熱帶的
10. immigrant [ˈɪməɡrənt] (n.) （外來的）移民