We know that racism is a public health crisis. And to tide us over until future recordings with SOM leaders (both students and faculty) on anti-racism in medical education, we are bringing you a conversation on Race and Medicine between Dr. Frayha and Dr. Jay-Sheree Allen, a Family Medicine physician in Minnesota and host of the Millennial Health podcast. They explore the definition & types of racism, the past & present of racism in medicine, & strategies for us all to become true allies. This is the first of an ongoing series, and originally aired on the Hippo Education podcasts.
- LeRoy, G. AAFP Condemns All Forms of Racism. AAFP, May 2020. https://www.aafp.org/media-center/releases-statements/all/2020/aafp-condemns-all-forms-of-racism.html Accessed 11 June 2020.
- African American Physicians and Organized Medicine: Acknowledging our Painful Legacy. The Institute for Ethics at the AMA. https://www.ama-assn.org/about/ama-history/history-african-americans-and-organized-medicine Accessed 11 June 2020.
- Ehrenfeld, J, Harris, P. Police Brutality Must Stop. AMA, May 2020. https://www.ama-assn.org/about/leadership/police-brutality-must-stop Accessed 11 June 2020.
- Gantzer, H. Internists “Gravely Concerned” About Discrimination and Violence by Public Authorities and Others. ACPOnline, May 2020. https://www.acponline.org/acp-newsroom/internists-gravely-concerned-about-discrimination-and-violence-by-public-authorities-and-others Accessed 11 June 2020.
- Jones CP. Levels of Racism: A Theoretic Framework and a Gardener’s Tale. American Journal of Public Health, 2000; (90)8: 1212-1215. Accessed 11 June 2020. https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.90.8.1212
- Morse M, Loscalzo J. Perspective Creating Real Change at Academic Medical Centers — How Social Movements Can Be Timely Catalysts. The New England Journal of Medicine. June 2020. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2002502?query=featured_home Accessed 11 June 2020.
- Hardeman R, Medina E, Boyd R. Perspective Stolen Breaths. The New England Journal of Medicine. June 2020. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2021072?query=featured_home#author_affiliations Accessed 11 June 2020.
- Evans M, Rosenbaum L, Malina D, Morrissey S, Rubin E. Diagnosing and Treating Systemic Racism. The New England Journal of Medicine. June 2020. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2021693?query=featured_home Accessed 11 June 2020.