Aug 23, 2019
Audi RS6 Avant And What Became Of The Station Wagon: Podcast #21
There was a time when station wagons were thick on the ground across this country. Times have changed, though, and now crossovers are the most popular form of family transportation. Some automakers, though, continue to make wagons, and we salute them.
This week Audi unveiled the RS6 Avant, a nearly 600-horsepower, all-wheel-drive super wagon that will, for the first time ever, be sold in the U.S. We’re going to talk about it on today’s episode, along with why station wagons have fallen out of favor, and which ones are our favorite of all time.
2019 Audi RS6 Avant
- 25-year history
- Twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8
- 591 hp / 590 lb-ft of torque
- 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, 155 mph top speed (174 with Dynamic Package, 190 mph with Dynamic Package Plus)
- New version of Virtual Cockpit
- Cool-ass headlight and taillight shows
What happened to the station wagon in America?
- Wagon sales are up, but their share of the market is down to 1.4 percent
What is it about crossovers that is s…