Set Aside Convictions — Move On In Your Life:
In April 2021, Michigan enacted the Clean Slate Law to help those with criminal records seek expungement through the legal system. The law will help people find better jobs, qualify for housing and higher education loans, and give peace of mind that past mistakes are no longer a hinderance. Courts set aside your conviction(s) if you meet specific criteria.
CRITERIA YOU MUST MEET
• Your crime(s) must be ones that can be expunged, or set aside.
• For example, most criminal sexual conduct convictions, some child abuse crimes, felony domestic violence if you have a previous misdemeanor domestic violence conviction, terrorism or human trafficking cannot be expunged.
• Convictions for which the maximum punishment is life in prison cannot be set aside.
• You may have too many convictions.
If you have more than three felony offenses in Michigan you might not be able to expunge any convictions.
• There are waiting periods.
The waiting periods range from none at all for misdemeanor marijuana related crimes to seven years for more than one felony conviction.
AT THE EXPUNGEMENT FAIR attorneys will be available to meet with you, iChats will be provided and finger-printing will be done
• Free legal representation may be available to you if you live in one of the following 10 counties and meet in-come eligibility requirements:
• Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau, Manistee, Missaukee, and Wexford counties. (assistance may be available for people who have convictions in other counties throughout the state).
• $50/court fingerprinting fee (this goes to Michigan State Police);
• Cost of obtaining Certified Copies of your conviction(s).
Income eligibility thresholds are 200% of the 2021 Federal Poverty Guidelines as set by the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services.
Bring Your ID; a Michigan Drivers License, State ID, or Tribal ID
Masks, and Social Distancing will be Required!
If You Are Sick Please Stay Home.
Please Pre-Register at: https://www.mils3.org/our-work/expungement-of-criminal-convictions or at nwm.org/ExpungementFair
or Call MILS at 231-947-0122 or Contact Northwest Michigan Works! at www.michiganworks.org or call (800) 442-1074
EXPUNGEMENT FAIR DATES
Manistee Fair - MI Works. 400 River Street—January 29th 10am - 2pm
Petoskey Fair - Odawa Hotel. 1444 US 131 Petoskey—Feb 19th 10am - 2pm
Traverse City Fair - MI Works Office. 1209 S. Garfield, Suite C, - March 26th 9am -2pm
Cadillac Fair - TBD—April 23rd 10am - 2pm
PODCAST SPONSORED BY: NEW LEONARD MEDIA
Audio and Visual Production at newleonard.com