In this episode of Waiting on the Trade, guest host Trevor Doetsch takes us to a galaxy far, far away, as we discuss the first volume of Kieron Gillen, Salvador Larroca, and co.’s Star Wars: Darth Vader.
This Month’s Discussion Questions
- Has the Expanded Universe changed your view on Vader?
- What do you think about droids and their place in Star Wars?
- Does knowing how a story ends affect your enjoyment?
Explanations, Observations, and Links of Note
- I have a couple Vader-centric Kieron Gillen interviews to link you. One is pre-series, in which Gillen talks up his take on Vader and the logistics of working with the Disney Star Wars team. And the other is a spoiler-filled post-series retrospective. Both are worth a read.
- If you haven’t read and/or watched anything about Quinlan Vos, you should! The Dark Horse Clone Wars comics, especially, do a great job of tracking his journey through the conflict.
- At 19:57 (and other times), I say “between Episodes III and IV” when I mean “between Episodes IV and V.” I realized this almost immediately after we recorded. Please, Star Wars nerds, forgive me.
- Google autocompletes the phrase “why do battle droids” to “why do battle droids have personalities,” so it’s not just us who have that question.
- Thankfully, here in the show notes, I can tell you about how Star Wars renamed Jizz Music (yup, that was its name) to Jatz Music.
- Here’s that cutaway of the Solar Sailer that Pat found, for your perusal.
- And finally, if you’ve never gone deep on the Darth Jar Jar theory, you’re in for a treat.
If you liked Star Wars: Darth Vader, we think you might also like:
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a comics book club podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can email us at WaitingOnTheTrade@gmail.com.
You can also find us on:
As always, thanks for listening!