Jan 5, 2022
5.6 The Roots of American Order | The Light of the Middle Ages with Dr. Justin Stover
Vital Remnants Producer Connor Tracy is joined by Dr. Justin Stover, Senior Lecturer of Medieval Latin at the University of Edinburgh, to explore what Russell Kirk calls our “neglected inheritance” from the Middle Ages. In addition to the influence of the Medieval world on America, the two discuss the culture of the Middle Ages and address some of the common misconceptions about the period.
Chapter 6, pp. 177-219 of Russell Kirk, The Roots of American Order
* Download the corresponding Reading Guide to The Roots of American Order here.
* Learn more about The Roots of American Order at https://louisville.edu/mcconnellcenter/programs-events/bic
* Subscribe to our newsletter and receive McConnell Center updates directly in your mailbox.
* Please share any thoughts, questions, comments, or concerns with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further Reading from the Middle Ages:
* Dante, The Divine Comedy
* Bernardus Silvestris, Cosmographia
* Hugh of Saint Victor, Didascalicon: A Medieval Guide to The Arts
* Alan of Lille, De Planctu Naturae (Lament of Nature)
* Alan of Lille, Anticlaudianus
* Sermons of Bernard of Clairvaux
* The Song of Roland
* The Song Of El Cid
Further Reading about the Middle Ages
* C.S. Lewis, The Discarded Image
* Jean Leclercq, The Love of Learning and The Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture
* Henri de Lubac, Medieval Exegesis: The Four Senses of Scripture
This podcast is a production of the McConnell Center at the University of Louisville. For more information, including upcoming events, please visit us online at mcconnellcenter.org or on social media at:
Host, Producer, and Editor: Connor Tracy, McConnell Center SBS Coordinator