Add by RSS Feed
Get the Android app
Get the iOS app
The Roys Report
Reporting the Truth. Restoring the Church.
2 days ago
Lori Anne Thompson on Truth, Trauma & Advocacy
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript For years, Ravi Zacharias labeled her a predator and a serial extortionist. And sadly, the world believed him. But now, we know better. Ravi Zacharias was the predator in what was dubbed in 2017 as a “sexting scandal.” And Lori Anne Thompson was not just the victim of clergy sexual abuse—but of a worldwide campaign to smear her name. In this special episode of The Roys Report, you’ll hear what was definitely a highlight of the recent Restore 2022 Conference.
Apr 8, 2022
Should Christian Women Endure Abuse?—A Response
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Should a woman endure abuse by an unbelieving spouse like a missionary endures persecution? Stunningly, this is the advice offered by Dr. John Street, chair of the graduate program of biblical counseling at John MacArthur’s school — The Master’s University and Seminary (TMUS) — and an elder at Grace Community Church (GCC). Street also suggests that wife’s failure to “fulfill” her husband can cause the husband to sexually abuse his children!
Mar 31, 2022
Sarah McDugal Analyzes Abuse at John MacArthur’s Church
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Why don’t church leaders believe victims when they report abuse? And why is the victim so often gaslit and abused instead of supported? This episode of _The Roys Report_ presents an in-depth look at abuse recently exposed at John MacArthur’s megachurch in southern California. Survivor advocate and author, Sarah McDugal, joins Julie to unpack MacArthur’s shocking treatment of the wife of a child-abusing husband.
Mar 1, 2022
Victim of Plagiarism by Christine Caine Speaks Out
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript In 2016, Christian author Carey Scott was the victim of plagiarism by a major celebrity—international speaker and evangelist Christine Caine. Caine reportedly copied entire portions of Scott’s book, forcing Scott to take legal action to settle the issue. Yet for Scott, the negative impact of this event lingers. Meanwhile, Caine, who never apologized, continues to enjoy the spotlight. On this edition of The Roys Report, Carey Scott shares her painful story, involving not just having her work stolen, but also being persistently bullied online.
Feb 24, 2022
Racial Trauma in the Church
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Are Black, Hispanic, and other people of color being traumatized in predominantly white, evangelical churches? And if they are, what’s driving it? Racism? Fear? Ignorance? Or, is it something else? Joining me for this episode of The Roys Report is Kyle Howard, a racial trauma and spiritual trauma counselor. He’s also become somewhat of a lightning rod for calling out what he sees as white supremacy in the church.
Feb 10, 2022
Former ARC Pastor Exposes ‘Unbiblical’ Movement
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript The Association of Related Churches, or ARC, is arguably the biggest church planting organization in North America. It’s also one of the most embattled . . . with scandals involving ARC pastors hitting the news with shocking regularity. In this episode of _The Roys Report_ podcast, former ARC pastor Jeff Thompson explains why. In 2012, Jeff says he was enamored with ARC’s model of “launching large”—of starting a church with a big capital investment, top-notch worship team, and professional marketing.
Jan 19, 2022
What Happened at Bethlehem Baptist Church? Part 2
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript * __ Documents Is the turmoil at Bethlehem Baptist Church simply the result of different theological and political convictions? Or, is it due to spiritual abuse and control at the highest levels? In part two of my podcast on What Happened at Bethlehem Baptist, former members Steve and Janette Takata describe how a Bethlehem elder, Andy Naselli, reportedly disparaged and gossiped about them behind their backs.
Jan 12, 2022
What Happened at Bethlehem Baptist Church? Part 1
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript * __ Documents There have been reports of spiritual abuse and abuse of power at Bethlehem Baptist Church—the church John Piper pastored for over 30 years. Three pastors have resigned. Hundreds of members have left. But why? Joining me for this important episode of The Roys Report are Steve and Janette Takata—a couple who unwittingly found themselves at the epicenter of the storm at this prominent Minnesota church.
Jan 4, 2022
Best of 2021 Podcasts
* __ Show Transcript Over the past year, _The Roys Report_ grew exponentially following in-depth investigations on several fronts—from the cultic church Mark Driscoll is running in Arizona, to pressure exerted on Naghmeh Panahi to salvage the #SaveSaeed movement, to inside reports from RZIM and John MacArthur’s ministries. In this special ‘Best of 2021’ edition of The Roys Report, you’ll hear excerpts from our most popular podcasts of the year.
Dec 16, 2021
Are We Addicted to Leadership?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Why is it that we have so many bullies and heavy-handed leaders in the church? Perhaps it’s because we’re addicted to leadership—and have elevated a model of leadership that has everything to do with the world and nothing to do with Jesus. In this edition of The Roys Report, Julie discusses Christians’ addiction to leadership with Lance Ford—a pastor, church-planter, and co-founder of the Sentralized Conference in Kansas City.
Dec 7, 2021
Is Conservatism Biblical?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Is conservatism biblical? And what are the dangers of mixing Christianity and politics? In this edition of The Roys Report, join Julie in addressing these issues head-on with Coleman Luck, author of The Curse of Conservatism. Though Coleman holds conservative theological and political views, he warns against a syncretism that’s seeping into the church.
Nov 10, 2021
Bullies in the Pulpit
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Bullies. We’ve all encountered them on the playground. But what happens when you encounter them in your church? In this edition of The Roys Report, joining Julie to talk about bullies in the pulpit is Paul Coughlin, an expert on bullying and a best-selling author and speaker. Contrary to popular opinion, Paul says bullies aren’t typically “wounded” people who are seeking to ease their pain.
Nov 4, 2021
Untwisting Scriptures on Gossip & Negative Emotions
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript What does the Bible really say about gossip, bearing false witness, fear, anger, and other negative emotions? Is it wrong to speak out against another believer? Is it sinful to feel mad? In this edition of _The Roys Report_, prolific author Rebecca Davis joins Julie to discuss the third book in her series *_Untwisting the Scriptures that were used to tie you up, gag you, and tangle your mind_*, which deals with words and emotions.
Oct 29, 2021
Fired Liberty U Spokesman Tells Inside Story Behind Lawsuit
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Did Liberty University mishandle Title IX sexual assault allegations? The school’s former spokesman says it did—and he joins Julie Roys in a special edition of _The Roys Report_ to tell his inside story. Lamb this week filed a federal lawsuit against Liberty, accusing the school of firing him for raising objections to Liberty’s “mishandling” of Title IX allegations.
Oct 20, 2021
What Makes a Church a Cult?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Many churches and Christian groups have been accused of being cult-like. But what qualifies as a cult? And what are the red flags people should look for? In this edition of _The Roys Report_, well-known cult expert Dr. Steven Hassan joins Julie to discuss how to identify a cult and its tactics—including mind-control and authoritarian leadership.
Oct 7, 2021
Fractured Faith: Finding God After Church Culture Harms You
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript What do you do when Christianity hasn’t lived up to your expectations? And the church, which is supposed to be a place of healing, instead has left deep and permanent wounds? In this edition of The Roys Report, Lina Abujamra, Bible teacher and author of Fractured Faith, shares a very personal account of how her faith was nearly deconstructed.
Sep 28, 2021
Naghmeh’s Story: Abuse and Betrayal Behind #SaveSaeed, Part II
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript For years, Naghmeh Panahi heroically advocated for the release of her husband—Iranian-American pastor, Saeed Abedini—from an Iranian prison. Yet months before his release, Naghmeh revealed a dark secret: for years, Saeed had been physically, emotionally, and sexually abusing her. Yet rather than rallying to support this battered wife, Naghmeh says the Christian community attacked her. And she says some—including Franklin Graham and Jay Sekulow—relentlessly pressured her to reconcile with her abusive husband, or to even lie about what happened.
1 hr 1 min
Sep 24, 2021
Ex-Wife Tells of Abuse & Betrayal Behind #SaveSaeed
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript From the fall of 2012 through 2015, imprisoned Iranian-American Pastor Saeed Abedini and his wife, Naghmeh, were the public face of persecuted Christians. As part of a global #SaveSaeed campaign, millions of dollars were raised, and Saeed was freed from prison in January 2016. Yet when Naghmeh revealed that she’d been abused by her husband, she went from being the darling of the Christian community to an outcast.
Sep 9, 2021
The Fracturing of Evangelicalism & Bethlehem Baptist
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript When Jason Meyer, John Piper’s successor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, recently resigned, he claimed that a “neo-fundamentalism” had crept into the church. Others throughout evangelicalism have cited similar opposing factions in the church—white nationalists, “woke” Christians, and ex-evangelicals, for example. But what are these factions? And why is the evangelical movement—once united by firm theological convictions—now splitting apart? On this edition of The Roys Report, we explore the answers with Michael Graham and Skyler Flowers, two pastors who have authored a groundbreaking article entitled, “The Six-Way Fracturing of Evangelicalism.” Julie also presents new evidence, including leaked emails, revealing the deep divisions over racial and cultural issues at Bethlehem Baptist, which have led to major upheaval at the church.
Sep 1, 2021
Is Bethlehem Baptist Safe for Abuse Victims?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Natalie Hoffman spent more than 10 years at Bethlehem Baptist Church—the church where John Piper pastored for over 30 years. During that time, she says she was stuck in an abusive marriage. Yet rather than helping her, she says Bethlehem blamed and shamed her, and left her suicidal. On this edition of The Roys Report, Natalie Hoffman joins Julie to tell her story—an account that’s extremely relevant, given current events at Bethlehem.
Aug 2, 2021
What Does the Bible Really Say About Patriarchy?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Have Scriptures been twisted to keep women in bondage—and to promote a patriarchy movement that’s grossly misogynist? On this edition of The Roys Report, author Rebecca Davis joins Julie to examine this movement and the Scriptures used to support it. Diving into Rebecca’s book series on Untwisting Scriptures That Were Used to Tie You Up, Gag You, and Tangle Your Mind, their talk centers on book two in the series entitled: Patriarchy and Authority.
Jul 26, 2021
Rape Victim & Allies Tell Backstory of Lawsuit vs. Liberty U
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Twelve women have filed a civil lawsuit, claiming that Liberty University is “enabling on-campus rapes.” On this episode of The Roys Report, one of the 12 Jane Does filing that lawsuit—as well as two of her allies—tell their story spanning 16 years. Their story starts in 2005, when “Jane Doe #2” in the lawsuit was gang raped on Liberty’s campus.
Jul 8, 2021
Inside the Driscoll “Cult” Part II
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript From his shuttered church in Seattle to his “cult” in Arizona, author and celebrity pastor Mark Driscoll has taken pastoral entitlement, bullying, and control to new lows. Even after Part 1 of Inside the Driscoll “Cult,” two former members of Driscoll’s security detail have much more to share. On this edition of The Roys Report, Chad Freese, the former head of security at The Trinity Church, and his former colleague, Ben Eneas, reveal more details about the cult of personality and family business that Driscoll has cultivated.
Jul 6, 2021
Inside the Driscoll “Cult”
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript The cultic activities of Mark Driscoll and The Trinity Church have escalated to a whole new level. As Julie’s guests describe on this edition of The Roys Report, Driscoll is now sending cease and desist letters, threatening to sue whistleblowers. And the threat is not in vain. Driscoll reportedly has amassed a $10 million dollar litigation fund to sue whistleblowers into oblivion.
Jun 23, 2021
Untwisting Scriptures Used to Enable Abuse
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Does the Bible really teach that Christians are supposed to give up their rights? If you speak out against someone who’s sinned against you, does it mean that you’re bitter? And is it really wrong to “take up offenses” for someone else? The short answer is, No! But as Julie explains on this episode of The Roys Report podcast, these are all examples of twisting the Scriptures to condition Christians to accept abuse.
Jun 16, 2021
Our Abuser Remains President of Circle C Ranch
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Sixteen women say Pastor Wayne Aarum sexually abused them. Still, he remains the president of the well-known Circle C Ranch in Western New York. In this podcast, two of his alleged victims speak out. On this episode of The Roys Report, the women—Joy McCullough and Michelle Poulsen—explain how Aarum systematically groomed them in the 1990s at both Circle C and The Chapel, a megachurch where Aarum served as the youth pastor.
Jun 8, 2021
What’s Really Happening At RZIM?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript What’s really going on at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries? And what should we make of recent apologies by senior executives of the ministry? It’s been four months since Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM) announced an investigation into its culture, finances, and practices. But so far, there’s been radio silence. There have been no updates. No reports published. Meanwhile, senior RZIM leaders Abdu Murray and Sarah Davis have published videos where they apologize to Ravi’s victims.
1 hr 12 min
May 27, 2021
Dr. Diane Langberg: Understanding Adult Clergy Abuse
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript If a pastor or someone in spiritual authority lures a married adult into a sexual relationship—is that abuse or an affair? And can an adult engage in a sexual relationship, but not be culpable because she was manipulated by a sexual predator? On this episode of The Roys Report, Julie explores this very difficult and sensitive issue with Dr.
May 19, 2021
My Abuser is Returning to Ministry
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Three years ago, he reportedly groomed and lured a married student under his care at a Christian seminary into a sexual relationship. Now, he’s moved to another state and is relaunching his ministry. But his victim is speaking out. On this episode of The Roys Report, Julie speaks with Katie Roberts, who was once the director of the Women’s Training Network for The Gospel Coalition (TGC).
May 12, 2021
Understanding the Duggar “Cult”
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Why would the wife of a sexual abuser and accused pedophile like Josh Duggar stay in the marriage? And what kind of culture—or cult—produces families like the Duggars? In this episode of The Roys Report—Julie explores what some have referred to as the Duggar “cult.” The Duggars are immersed in a religious system created by Bill Gothard, a strong proponent of homeschooling and the creator of the Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP).
May 4, 2021
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Why do some megachurch pastors wear shoes that cost as much as a mortgage payment? Is that wrong? Or do some pastors deserve to be rich? On this episode of The Roys Report, Julie explores this issue with Ben Kirby, creator of the hugely popular Instagram account PreachersNSneakers. PreachersNSneakers began as an online experiment that showcased photos of famous Christian leaders wearing insanely expensive sneakers and clothing.
Apr 22, 2021
Tackling Abraham Piper’s TikToks
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Is the Bible just like “Game of Thrones,” except if you don’t read it, you go to hell? And speaking of hell, does anyone really believe in a place of eternal torment? Or is that just a fable pastors preach to scare people into becoming Christians? In this episode of The Roys Report, Julie tackles these accusations raised by viral TikTok sensation, Abraham Piper.
Apr 15, 2021
Wolves In The Church
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript They’re ravaging the church and devouring the sheep. Yet instead of tracking and expelling these wolves, we’re actually helping—and in some cases—protecting them! On this episode of _The Roys Report_, Coleman Luck, author of _Day of the Wolf: Unmasking and Confronting Wolves in the Church_, explains why. Dazzled by their ability to pack auditoriums and fill church coffers, Christians often mistake spiritual wolves for spiritual leaders.
Mar 26, 2021
Survivor of Horrific Abuse Scandal in UK Speaks Out
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript The evangelical community in the U.K. is being rocked by a horrific abuse scandal, involving Jonathan Fletcher — arguably the leading evangelical figure in Britain for the past several decades. On this episode of The Roys Report, Lee Furney—the first survivor of Fletcher’s abuse to go public —speaks out. As Furney recounts, Fletcher groomed and abused young men who attended his prominent church in Wimbledon, England, for 30 years.
Mar 16, 2021
What’s the Truth about John MacArthur & His Ministries?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript What’s the truth about John MacArthur, his ministries, and the Master’s University and Seminary? On this episode of The Roys Report, a former vice president at John MacArthur’s seminary reveals stunning details about the culture of fear, nepotism, and celebrity surrounding the famous pastor. From 1991—2015, Dennis Swanson worked at The Master’s University and Seminary (TMUS)—first as the director innovation and then as the vice president of operations, the library, and accreditation. Swanson worked with MacArthur’s son-in-law, Kory Welch, who’s been paid millions in contracts by MacArthur’s ministries.
Mar 8, 2021
Misogyny in the Church
* __ Transcript Do women need to maintain a certain weight and aspire to look like Melania Trump to keep their husbands happy? And is “weight control” the solution to women’s marital problems? A pastor at a General Baptist Church in Missouri actually preached that on a recent Sunday morning—a sign that misogyny is alive and well in the church. On this episode of The Roys Report, Julie discusses misogyny in the church with author and speaker, Aimee Byrd.
Feb 23, 2021
Love & Respect – and Abuse?
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Love & Respect is a huge best-selling book. But instead of producing happy marriages, popular author and marriage blogger, Sheila Wray Gregoire, says it can lead to abuse. On this episode of The Roys Report, Sheila joins Julie to explain why she’s been warning couples about this book for years—and how a comprehensive study she commissioned gives hard evidence that Love & Respect is harmful.
Feb 11, 2021
Ravi Zacharias Pressured Me to Get an Abortion
* __ Show Transcript Today, she’s a retired police officer with 34 years of distinguished service. But in 1974, she was a scared, pregnant teenager. And she says Ravi Zacharias pressured her to get an abortion. On this edition of The Roys Report, Julie speaks with Shirley Steward, who says when she was 17, she became pregnant with the child of Ravi Zacharias’ younger brother, Ramesh Zacharias.
Feb 5, 2021
Living for Jesus When People Think You’re The ‘‘Bad Guy’’
* __ Guest Bios * __ Show Transcript Let’s face it. Christians—and especially, evangelical Christians—have a huge PR problem. Though at one time, society considered us the good guys, we’ve become the bad guys. So how do we live faithfully for Jesus in a culture that hates us? On this episode of *_The Roys Report_*, Julie tackles this difficult issue with pastor, blogger and author, Stephen McAlpine. As Stephen concedes, we’ve brought some of this hardship on ourselves by behaving badly. “It’s very easy to have a persecution complex when we’re misbehaving,” he says.
Jan 27, 2021
One Man’s Crusade to Clean Up the SBC
* __ Show Transcript The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) has been rocked by a sex abuse scandal, a federal lawsuit, and claims of self-dealing and lucrative, backroom deals. The church also is experiencing historic lows when it comes to evangelism and church planting. But one man says he’ll reform the SBC. And if he wins his bid to be SBC president, he’ll have the power to do it. On this episode of The Roys Report, Julie speaks with Randy Adams, one of four candidates vying to be president of the SBC—the largest, Protestant denomination in the country.