Mar 13, 2023
Women of Research: Twenty-Five Years of Mentorship with Laura Kenefic & Susan Stout
To celebrate the immeasurable impact of women in our nation’s history, and to honor the scientists who have inspired others to dream, work, study, serve and succeed, Forecast is kicking off a special 10-episode series highlighting women’s perspectives in research over the past 50 years.
Eleven scientists from the Northern Research Station and Rocky Mountain Research Station will share their experiences from before, during and after careers with the USDA Forest Service. Stories of mentors and mentorship, motherhood, rural and urban stewardship, passions for science, leadership, and beyond.
To kick things off, a conversation between a mentor and mentee about how they met, the evolution and value of their relationship, their shared diversity research, and where to go from here.
* USDA Forest Service Employee Diversity During a Period of Workforce Contraction (2022)
* Strategies for Increasing Diversity and Inclusion at SAF Meetings (2017)
* Bridging the Gender Gap: The Demographics of Scientists in the USDA Forest Service and Academia (2015)
* Laura Kenefic, Research Forester, Northern Research Station, Bradley, Maine
* Susan Stout, Emeritus Research Forester, Northern Research Station, Irvine, Pennsylvania
If you're interested in hearing more women in the Forest Service, visit the National Forest Service Library and their HerStory oral history project.
Produced by the USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station.
Want more information? Visit us at www.nrs.fs.usda.gov/podcast/3/
Any questions? Connect with us on Twitter!