Endurance Podcast Ep. 3: Kara Goucher - Anti-Doping, the Olympics and Trail Running
The PodiumRunner Endurance Podcast is hosted by Ian Sharman, a professional ultra runner and coach with over 200 marathons or ultra finishes and more than 50 wins (www.sharmanultra.com, twitter.com/sharmanian). We discuss training and racing topics with leading sports scientists and how to practically apply research findings for marathoners and ultra runners.
Episode 3: Kara Goucher - Anti-Doping, the Olympics and Trail Running
Today we’re talking to Kara Goucher (www.karagoucher.com, twitter.com/karagoucher) who needs little introduction.
- She’s a two-time Olympian, competing at three distances (5,000m, 10,000m and the marathon) and a World Championship silver medallist at the 10,000m.
- She’s also an advocate for positive change in our sport, especially related to anti-doping and empowering female athletes.
- She's a recent convert to trail racing.
This show delves into:
- What the Clean Sport Collective is and Kara’s involvement
- How anti-doping works and why it’s important
- Testing for banned substances plus the importance ope culture for keeping sport clean
- Kara's involvement with the Nike Oregon Project and being a whistleblower
- Whether she’s optimistic for the future of clean sport
- What it’s like going to the Olympics and how the one-year delay to Tokyo will affect athletes
- Kara’s experience of trails and ultras, which she recently tried out.