1 day ago
Pope Francis: Still more to do
Just in time for Pentecost Sunday and Labor Day weekend, Mike Lewis and Dominic de Souza break down the latest news from Pope Francis.
1. Pope Francis’s urgent message on care for creation
2. Telemundo interview: Francis on abortion and personhood
3. How does Francis respond to the question, “And what do you feel you still have to do?”
Be sure to check out the links below in the show notes!
As always, in addition to YouTube (please subscribe to our channel), you can listen to The Debrief wherever you listen to podcasts. Just search for “Where Peter Is” and it should pop up!
Summary and Links:
1) “Let Justice and Peace Flow” is the theme of this year’s ecumenical Season of Creation (Sept 1 – Oct 4, inspired by the words of the prophet Amos: “Let justice flow on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream” (5:24). Why is this significant and why isn't care for creation a priority for US Catholics?
– Pope’s Message
– Catholic Climate Covenant
– Laudato Si Movement
2) In a new Telemundo Interview, Pope Francis is asked about abortion. Some have criticized him for the statement, “I’m not saying a person, it’s a living being.” This is an issue he has discussed before, and there’s a very clear explanation.
– Telemundo interview
– “Pope Francis and the personhood debate” by Mike Lewis
3) Also in the interview, Pope Francis is asked, “And what do you feel you still have to do?” His answer is telling, and Mike and Dominic reflect on the evolution of this papacy over the last decade.
– “Pope Francis’s first 10 years: Key accomplishments” by Adam Rasmussen
– “The first decade of a landmark papacy” by Mike Lewis
ABOUT THE DEBRIEF
Intro Episode: https://youtu.be/LevSkGFqq4U
A weekly show where we dive deep into the news, topics, questions, and controversies facing the Catholic Church today. Hosted by Dominic de Souza, founder of SmartCatholics, posing questions to Mike Lewis, editor and cofounder of Where Peter Is. We bring you commentary, analysis, and context on tough questions that the Church is facing. Whether you’re a devout Catholic, a curious seeker, or just interested in the news and happenings in the Church, join us for The Debrief. When it comes to news and controversies in the Catholic Church, stay curious, informed, and engaged.
WHERE PETER IS
Visit Where Peter Is.com to read articles, commentaries, and spiritual reflections by and for faithful Catholics who support the mission and vision of Pope Francis. https://wherepeteris.com
The conversation is brought to you from SmartCatholics.com, the free online community for millennials, creators, and learners. Join our private WherePeterIs group to ask questions, share insights, and suggest topics for next time. https://smartcatholics.com
Consider becoming a Patreon sponsor for Where Peter Is. Your generosity will help us continue to bring valuable content to you and enhance the quality of this show. https://www.patreon.com/where_peter_is