The React Native Show Podcast - Episode 5: "React Native 0.64 with Hermes for iOS"
In this episode of The React Native Show podcast our host, Mike Grabowski, and his guests:
- Eloy Durán, a Software Engineer at Microsoft (https://twitter.com/alloy)
- and Xuan Huang, a Software Engineer at Facebook (https://twitter.com/Huxpro)
talk about the latest React Native 0.64 release which comes with Hermes support for iOS!
It’s a great opportunity to know the details of this major update to React Native 0.64 because Mike, Eloy and Xuan worked together on bringing Hermes to iOS!
In the first part of the podcast, our experts focus on the following topics:
- Hermes improvements to React Native apps in terms of three metrics: Time To Interactive (TTI), Application Size (APK), Memory consumption
- The “magic” behind Hermes - “Bytecode Precompilation” a.k.a. AOT
- The difference between AOT and JIT
- JIT JS engine pipeline vs Hermes pipeline
- The Hermes roadmap and plans for further improvements
Later on, Mike and his guests talk about the story behind bringing Hermes to React Native MacOS and take a quick look into the future of this major update.
In this part, they cover the following topics:
- What was the motivation behind adding support for Hermes on MacOS? Any plans for RN Windows?
- Were there any attempts to bring Chakra to run on macOS, to say, provide more unified experience across desktop platforms?
- On Apple devices, unlike Android ones, there was always less of performance and memory related issues when it comes to running React Native applications. What would be the selling point of Hermes in such a case?
This and much more awaits you in the Episode #5 of The React Native Show!
Don’t forget to push the Subscribe button and share this video on your social media. More episodes are coming soon!
Check out more episodes of The React Native Show
Read more about Hermes on iOS
1. Bringing Hermes to iOS in React Native 0.64
2. Hermes Performance on iOS