207: Advice from Folklore (with Moiya McTier)
It’s time to turn to the gods for some divine advice. We welcome Moiya McTier back to the show to channel the gods like the oracles of old and answer questions about long distance relationships, working from home, and keeping your plants alive!
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of Covid-19, drug use, self-mutilation, debt, sex, mental health, and relationship problems.
Moiya McTier is a New York-based astrophysicist who studies planets outside of our solar system. She’s also a folklorist who specializes in using science and logic to build fictional worlds. You can hear all about the worlds she’s built on her podcast, Exolore, where she imagines, discusses, and reviews fictional worlds, often with expert guests. You can learn more about Moiya and her work on her website, moiyamctier.com.
- Recommendation: This week, Julia recommends the What We Do in the Shadows TV show. Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Merch: Check out our new digital merch, including the Cool Cryptid Compendium, at spiritspodcast.com/merch!
- Live Show: Our virtual live show is available for video on demand, so you can rewatch it whenever. Purchase your copy at spiritspodcast.com/live!
- BetterHelp is a secure online counseling service. Get 10% off your first month at betterhelp.com/spirits
- Brooklinen delivers luxury bed sheets, pillows, comforters, & blankets straight to your door. Go to Brooklinen.com right now and use promo code “spirits” for 20% off and free
- Cocktail Uncultured takes the mystery out of what's in your glass through live interactive virtual cocktail classes. Visit their website at cocktailuncultured.com/spirits and take 20% off your first class with code SPIRITS at checkout.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.