We respond to an intriguing and dense article from Avery Pennarun about what executives do. He takes us back to Andy Grove’s classic High Output Management and we reflect on the leverage leaders can use, how they and their staff can fool themselves into thinking they have the right information, and a mindset exercise to help you find “unknown unknowns”.
- What do executives do, anyway? by Pennarun: https://apenwarr.ca/log/20190926 and Hacker News discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21088425
- Andy Grove, High Output Management: https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Output-Management-Andrew-Grove/dp/0679762884
- Art of Action: http://www.stephenbungay.com/Books.ink
- Argyris, Organizational Traps: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8633384-organizational-traps
- Unknown Unknowns, Rumsfeld: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_known_knowns
We'd love to hear any thoughts, ideas, or feedback you have about the show.
Email us: see link on troubleshootingagile.com
Tweet us: twitter.com/TShootingAgile
Also, if you'd like to leave us a review on iTunes (or just like and subscribe), you'll find us here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/troubleshooting-agile/id1327456890?mt=2