Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
This is a special episode called "Physics and Mysticism", which we filmed on July 7, 2019 in front of a live audience at Foundation Hall at the Baha'i House of Worship in Chicago. It's a conversation with physicist, data scientist, philosopher and translator, Dr. Steven Phelps, who's also been on the Baha'i Blogcast before. We covered a wide range of topics and there were also some great questions from the audience at the end, which I've also included. I hope you enjoy the conversation as much as I did!
Watch the video of this event here: https://bit.ly/2Y3hOkK
Find out more about some of the things we covered in this episode using the following links:
* Listen to this talk by Steven called Science, Religion & the Coming Spiritual Revolution: https://bit.ly/2JVyhyT
* Check out my previous Baha'i Blogcast episode with Dr. Steven Phelps here: https://bit.ly/32OmMAF
* Read about Baha'i Houses of Worship here: https://bit.ly/2Gy3gP8
* We mention the Baha'i World Centre: https://bit.ly/2OjFZa8
* We mention Yuval Noah Harari's book 'Sapiens'': https://amzn.to/2YmFHzb
* We mention writer Reza Aslan: http://rezaaslan.com/
* 'The Seven Valleys and the Four Valleys'are mentioned: https://bit.ly/2YoZ36p
* We mention 'Flatland' by Edwin A. Abbott: https://amzn.to/2JTR25D
* Steven mentions Baha'u'llah has "recast the whole conception of religion as the principal force impelling the development of consciousness." This statement is from 'One Common Faith' written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice called : https://bit.ly/2LIJPr7aith/
* The following quote by Abdu'l-Baha is referred to:
"Know thou of a certainty that Love is the secret of God’s holy Dispensation, the manifestation of the All-Merciful, the fountain of spiritual outpourings. Love is heaven’s kindly light, the Holy Spirit’s eternal breath that vivifieth the human soul. Love is the cause of God’s revelation unto man, the vital bond inherent, in accordance with the divine creation, in the realities of things. Love is the one means that ensureth true felicity both in this world and the next. Love is the light that guideth in darkness, the living link that uniteth God with man, that assureth the progress of every illumined soul. Love is the most great law that ruleth this mighty and heavenly cycle, the unique power that bindeth together the divers elements of this material world, the supreme magnetic force that directeth the movements of the spheres in the celestial realms. Love revealeth with unfailing and limitless power the mysteries latent in the universe. Love is the spirit of life unto the adorned body of mankind, the establisher of true civilization in this mortal world, and the shedder of imperishable glory upon every high-aiming race and nation."
* Frank Wilczek's book 'A Beautiful Question' is mentioned: https://amzn.to/2YhZPSP
* We talk about 'Progressive Revelation': https://bit.ly/2OldlWg
Be sure to subscribe to the Baha’i Blogcast for more episodes on:
* YouTube: http://bit.ly/2JTNmBO
* iTunes: http://apple.co/2leHPHL
* Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bahaiblogcast
* Spotify: http://spoti.fi/2IXRAnb
If you would like to find out more about the Baha'i Faith visit BAHAI.ORG, and for more great Baha'i-inspired content check out BAHAIBLOG.NET: http://bahaiblog.net/
Thanks for listening!