Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
In this episode I'm sitting in a cabin in the woods with Michael Karlberg, as we take part in a Baha'i-inspired retreat for youth in White Salmon, Washington called Windstock. Michael is a professor of Communication Studies at Western Washington University, and he's the author of 'Beyond a Culture of Contest', a book I often reference in my podcast. He tells me how he used to make acoustic guitars and how he became a Baha'i, and we talk about the power of media and how we need to rethink some of the fundamental assumptions we have about the world and how it's moving forward. We discuss nonviolent social change through constructive and peaceful resilience, and the challenges of taking collective action. Michael shares how the Baha'i Faith is a radical movement which addresses change on both the individual and social level, and he explains the ways in which the Baha'is are working towards this. I hope you enjoy the conversation as much as I did!
To find out more about Michael Karlberg and some of the things we covered in this podcast, check out the following links:
* Learn more about Michael Karlberg and his works here: https://wp.wwu.edu/karlberg/
* Watch Michael Karlberg's TEDxInnsbruck talk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZCAbYrQ7Q&feature=youtu.be
* 'Beyond a Culture of Contest' by Michael Karlberg can be purchased here: https://amzn.to/2WHWvne
* Michael's children's book is called 'Rooth Sees a Trooth': https://www.bahaibooks.org.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14201439
* Michael mentions that his first Baha’i book was 'The Book of Certitude (Kitab-i-Iqan)':
* Read the 'The Promise of World Peace' by the Universal House of Justice here: https://www.bahai.org/documents/the-universal-house-of-justice/promise-world-peace
* Use these links to find out more about the Baha'i World Centre (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_World_Centre) and the Universal House of Justice (https://universalhouseofjustice.bahai.org/).
* Use these links to find out more about The Training Institute (https://www.bahai.org/action/response-call-bahaullah/training-institute) and the Ruhi sequence of courses (https://www.ruhi.org/materials/list.php).
* Rainn and Michael talk about the Junior Youth Spiritual Empowerment Program [JYSEP], which you can learn more about here: https://www.bahaiblog.net/junior-youth/
* Michael talks about the Institute for Studies in Global Prosperity [ISGP]: https://www.globalprosperity.org/
* Learn more about Rainn's non-profit organization called LIDÈ and how you can support its programs here: https://www.lidehaiti.org/
* Michael shares one of his favorite quotes from the Writings of Baha'u'llah: "He Who is your Lord, the All-Merciful, cherisheth in His heart the desire of beholding the entire human race as one soul and one body."
Be sure to subscribe to the Baha’i Blogcast for more episodes on:
* iTunes: http://apple.co/2leHPHL
If you would like to find out more about the Baha'i Faith visit BAHAI.ORG, and for more great Baha'i-inspired content check out BAHAIBLOG.NET: http://bahaiblog.net/
Thanks for listening!