Nov 27, 2022
Episode #69 - Chain Reaction
In this episode, we were fresh out of hydrogen so we need to watch Chain Reaction (1996) to learn how to make some more. How does this Cold Fusion adjacent movie draw on nuclear themes for its plot? Does the subplot about our heroes being framed as spies for China stealing national secrets have parallels to real life events? Did Evel Kinevil ever jump his stunt bike over a mushroom cloud? Tim Westmyer (@NuclearPodcast) and returning special guest Kevin answer these questions and more.
Before we powered the city of Chicago with our Nalgene bottle, we recommend:
-The Fugitive (1993 movie)
-The Saint (1997 movie)
-Gary Taubes, Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion, 1993
-Eduro Life Media, “Impossible Climb Andler 2019 – Dirt Bike Graveyard – Hill Climb,” YouTube
-David Grann, Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, 2017
We also recommend checking out:
• Josh Friedman, “I’m Your Friend, Eddie,” I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing (Blog), August 24, 2005
• Free Energy Suppression Conspiracy Theory, Wikipedia
• Beth Laski, “Reeves, Davis Ring Up ‘Dead’ Cash,” Variety, January 8, 1995
• Tim Prokop, “Causing a Chain Reaction,” Movie (Aus), January/February 1997
• William J. Broad, “Spies vs. Sweat: The Debate Over China’s Nuclear Advance,” New York Times, September 7, 1999
Check out our website, SuperCriticalPodcast.com, for more resources and related items. We aim to have at least one new episode every month. Let us know what you think about the podcast and any ideas you may have about future episodes and guests by reaching out at on Twitter @NuclearPodcast, GooglePlay, Spotify, SoundCloud, TuneIn, Stitcher Radio, SuperCriticalPodcast@gmail.com, and YouTube.