What does it take to teach preschool children how to draw? I get asked this question a lot, so I thought why not share my answer with all my listeners?
Yes guys, you've guessed it, it's another "Calm Down Corner Special" episode!
If you've ever wondered "Is directed drawing right for my class?", then this episode is the right one for you.
A few years ago, directed drawing became a trend on the internet, and as a result, many pre-k educators started asking themselves if they should be adding this activity to their preschool curriculum.
My answer? I personally think it’s not a very good idea.
Why is that?
Well, you might want to listen to this episode to find out the answer.
So, what are you waiting for?
Let's get to it!
- Is directed drawing right for my class? (00:00)
- Story time! (00:40)
- Fact #1: Learning to draw is a developmental skill (02:33)
- Fact #2: The ability to draw is tied to the child's fine motor skills (07:12)
- Fact #3: Motivation to draw or write is needed (07:41)
- Myth #1: It is our job as teachers to teach our students how to draw (10:20)
- Myth #2: Directed drawings make great bulletin board displays (15:54)
- Myth #3: Directed drawing is a great way to practice listening skills (16:55)
- Myth #4: You're not a good teacher unless you're doing directed drawing with your students (18:11)
- Myth #5: Parents love it (18:54)
- Visit our website to find tons of pre-K teaching resources here.
- Get my book “Teach Smarter: Literacy Strategies for Early Childhood Teachers”.
- Learn more about my membership program, “Teaching Trailblazers”.
- Get replay access to the 2021 Soar to Success Summit here.
- Learn more about creating the perfect Morning Message here.
Elevating Early Childhood is an early education podcast dedicated to helping Pre-K, Preschool, and Kindergarten teachers teach better, save time, and live more.
If you enjoy the podcast, please follow, rate, and leave a review on your favorite podcast platform.
Onward & Upward!