After working with many teachers over the years, I've noticed one thing...
"What is it, Vanessa?" you ask?
Well, the answer is: The lack of flannel boards!
And yes, I can hear you already... "But flannel boards are sooooo old school."
But let me tell you, they aren't! They can actually be used in very smart ways to teach many standards in your early childhood class!
What do I mean by that?
Tune in to this episode to find out!
Flannel boards in the classroom? (00:00)
Why some teachers don't use flannel boards (01:03)
What is a flannel board? (01:40)
What is the purpose of a flannel board? (04:20)
What standards can you support using a flannel board? (04:58)
How to do a flannel board story with your students (11:47)
My favorite flannel pieces (20:16)
Using a flannel board as an independent learning center (23:20)
Other ways I have used flannel boards in my classrooms (30:16)
Some troubleshooting tips for you (32:15)
- Visit our website to find tons of pre-K teaching resources here.
- Get my book “Teach Smarter: Literacy Strategies for Early Childhood Teachers”.
- Learn more about my exclusive mentorship program, “Teaching Trailblazers”.
- For “Little Folk: Goldilocks” flannel figures, click here.
- For “Little Folk: Nursery Rhymes” flannel figures, click here.
- For “Little Folk: Brown Bear” flannel figures, click here.
- For “Little Folk: Hungry Caterpillar” flannel figures, click here.
- Grab your DIY pizza box flannel board here.
Elevating Early Childhood is an early education podcast dedicated to helping Pre-K, Preschool, and Kindergarten teachers teach better, save time, and live more.
If you enjoy the podcast, please follow, rate, and leave a review on your favorite podcast platform.
Onward & Upward!
Pre-K Pages is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. The word “affiliate” means that we may earn a small commission if/when you click on or make purchases via these links at no additional cost to you.
As a policy, the Company will only affiliate with products, services, consultants or experts that we believe will provide value to our customers and followers.
You recognize that it remains your personal responsibility to investigate whether any affiliate offers are right for you and will benefit you. You will not rely on any recommendation, reference, or information provided by the Company but will instead conduct your own investigation and will rely upon your investigation to decide whether to purchase the affiliate product or service.