Sustainability jobs are growing fast. From industry hot spots to the most-needed skills, Episode 2 is full of insider tips for jobseekers from John Davies of GreenBiz, the go-to hub for the latest in business and sustainability. For all of the guidance and resources mentioned in this episode, visit Land a Green Job 101 online.
1. Which industries are growing planet-saving jobs?
After years of sputtering along, sustainability job postings on LinkedIn grew about 10% in 2019.
- Some roles are part of small corporate sustainability teams. But sustainability skills are needed in more traditional positions as well.
- Download the GreenBiz State of the Profession report.
These jobs are growing across industries:
- Supply chain management
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Companies
- Medical devices
2. Which skills are in greatest demand?
More and more industries are seeking people who understand circularity. For information about new jobs in the circular economy, read this GreenBiz column.
- Companies are greening their systems. Skills needed are specific to companies and industries.
- Industries moving quickly on circularity include medical devices, tech companies, and fashion.
- For in-depth information, read corporate sustainability reports. Look for their problem areas. Which skills do you have, or can you learn, that can solve these problems?
Learn how to build business cases for sustainability:
- Become a translator between different departments — for example, supply chain, purchasing and manufacturing.
- Building a business case takes communication, presentation, skill in interpreting and reporting sustainability metrics and collaboration.
- Be a constant learner. Stay current on new innovations and the latest research in your target industries and organizations.