Plant friends, you probably know my brain broke a little bit last year when Dr Elle Barnes explained plant science and how the smells we know and love are actually something called VOCs, or volatile organic compounds, that plants use to communicate with each other. I had another mind-blowing experience as I researched my book Growing Joy and learned that scent and smell is one of the most powerful senses for memory and feeling. No wonder candles and essential oils are so popular! For this episode, our guest Chris Satch, a dear friend and Bloom and Grow's repeat guest, breaks down and dives under the surface to explain the what's and why's behind essential oils. Time to get exploring!
Order my book!
Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Don't forget to subscribe to the podcast,
so you don't miss the amazing episodes we have coming up!
In this episode we learn:
- [00:50] Introducing Chris
- [02:48] How is this episode about essential oils?
- [05:44] How Chris became the plant parent he is today
- [07:50] What is essential oil?
- [09:32] What makes up the essence of a plant?
- [11:13] What are VOCs and what are their different functions?
- [13:38] The truth behind the smell of freshly cut grass
- [14:37] How Maria has been engaging her sense of smell in the garden
- [15:35] How plants can attract or repel pests based on their smell
- [17:20] How do secondary metabolites work? What is the natural function of caffeine?
- [19:36] How do you make your own essential oils?
- [20:08] What is the process of enfleurage? What are the basic components of enfleurage?
- [22:04] What is cold pressing or cold extraction best used for?
- [22:44] How does the distillation process work for essential oils?
- [23:16] The advantages and disadvantages of steam distillation
- [26:39] What is one mistake people make when extracting essential oils?
- [28:14] What is the extraction method? Why don’t some people prefer extraction?
- [32:31] Where to get the best fertilizers for all your garden needs
- [34:58] How to grow a year-round garden with foolproof seeds
- [36:57] What is the most accessible method to make your own essential oils?
- [39:42] Extracting lavender essence at home using steam distillation
- [41:44] Applying the extraction method at home for lavender essential oil
- [44:00] Chris’ recommended method for beginners
- [46:46] What are the different compounds that make up our favorite and not-so-favorite scents?
- [51:39] An easy way to further enrich and explore your growing garden!
- [54:36] Chris’ favorite essential oils and plant essences
- [56:04] What are some benefits of hinoki essential oil?
- [57:55] Can all plants produce essential oils?
- [01:00:21] Why are scents personal? How is smell related to memory?
- [01:02:17] What are scented plants that you can add to your collection?
- [01:05:52] Where to get your plant consultation spot with Chris!
- [01:06:56] Easy and simple ways to explore your sense of smell in the garden!
- [01:08:17] Different ways to use essential oils at home and while traveling
- [01:11:06] Maria’s favorite essential oils and their uses
- [01:14:15] Closing remarks
Mentioned in our conversation:
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Territorial Seed Company
Excited for this year's growing season? If you’re looking for plants for your garden, skip the lines at the garden center and let Territorial Seed Company deliver top-of-the-line, healthy and hardy vegetable plants right to your door! They have a great line of pre-grown plants, an expansive seed catalog, and over 40 years of experience delivering the best seeds and plants for everyone's garden. They are offering an exclusive discount just for listeners of Bloom & Grow Radio, use code GROW10 to get 10% off your first order. Order now at territorialseed.com
Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To learn more about their pet safe indoor and outdoor gardening products, visit espoma.com to find your local Espoma dealer or check my Amazon storefront.
Instagram: @botanictonic | @nycplantdoctor
Chris's blog on essential oils
Follow Maria and Bloom and Grow Radio:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet!
Take the Bloom and Grow Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: www.bloomandgrowradio.com/garden-club
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands