It’s out of the frying pan and into the fire as our heroes, T, G, Lucca, and Robo frantically flee from an unexpected pack of… dinosaurs?! Fortunately, they’re able to make it back to the End of Time to regroup, but so many mysteries remain about what damage the experiment has caused for the world (the multiverse) of Chrono Trigger. It looks like it’s time for a new adventure to begin!
In our world, T and G revisit Chrono Trigger’s 65,000,00 BC period, specifically, Tyranno Lair, to get a better understanding of what makes this section of the game so great, but also a bit of a mixed bag:
* The impenetrable fortress that it is: How the game sets the stage for this epic locale, and how incredibly impractical it is
* The mini-boss rush of Nizbel II, Azala and Black Tyranno: Epic battles, or road bumps on the way to Zeal?
* The reptiles! What the heck are they, anyway?
Editing, scripting, and podcast visual design by [Nick Terwoord](https://nt3rp.io). Special thanks to Square Enix for making that game that we love, Chrono Trigger ...and for not suing us.
## Episode Cast
Alphabetically, by actor:
* Nick G in the role of his fictional self, and discussion host
* Nick T in the role of his fictional self, Robo, and discussion host
* SMZeldaRules in the role of Lucca Ashtear
## Musical Credits
* [00:00] Chase scene - [Chrono Symphonic: Frog’s Intervention](https://ocremix.org/album/7/chrono-trigger-chrono-symphonic) by [ellywu2](https://ocremix.org/artist/4776/ellywu2) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* [01:36] Lucca Explains it all - [ReMix: Chrono Trigger "Electric Clouds"](https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01092) by [posu yan](https://ocremix.org/artist/4290/posu-yan) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* [03:53] A moment of expository tension - [Chonopolis: Operation Slash and Dash](https://ocremix.org/album/91/chronopolis-music-inspired-by-chrono-cross) by [prophetik music](https://ocremix.org/artist/4695/prophetik-music), [Tuberz McGee](https://ocremix.org/artist/13677/tuberz-mcgee) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* [05:30, 33:25] Primal drums - [Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shell Shocked: Rock You Like a Dinosaur [Prehistoric Turtlesaurus]](https://ocremix.org/album/55/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shell-shocked) by Chernabogue (feat. [Furilas](https://ocremix.org/artist/14980/furilas), [Tuberz McGee](https://ocremix.org/artist/13677/tuberz-mcgee), [Viking Guitar](https://ocremix.org/artist/13432/viking-guitar)) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* [36:32] Chill at the End of Time - [ReMix: Chrono Trigger "Driftwood"](https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03412) by [Fratto](https://ocremix.org/artist/14336/fratto), [Wiesty](https://ocremix.org/artist/8640/wiesty), [The OC Jazz Collective](https://ocremix.org/artist/14337/the-oc-jazz-collective) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* [38:07] “We’re going to Zeal!” - [ReMix: Chrono Cross "A Timely Victory"](https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03884) by [Lemonectric](https://ocremix.org/artist/8998/lemonectric) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
## Additional Notes
**The impenetrable fortress of Tyranno Lair**
* We tend to downplay dinosaur times, but let’s be real about this section of the game
* Huge amount of build-up to this section:
* Laruba have their village burnt
* Ayla, as chief, springs into action
* Need to summon THE DACTYL; requires a short trip to Dactyl Nest; epic sunset with just the tiniest hint of foreshadowing baked in
* RIDING ON DINOSAURS
* In PS1 and later versions, EPIC cutscene of flying off to Tyranno Lair
* Even in game, go from lush forest, to desert, to mountain, to CASTLE IN LAVA FIELDS
* This place is hella inaccessible! No stairs, no ramps, no ladders… how the fuck would humans get up here without Dactyl?!
* Unfortunately, no panning up to reveal the enormous castle, as we do with Magus’ Castle
* Tyranno Lair really sets the mood
* Akira Toriyama-esque; much easier to see in the official art
* Dinosaurs, epic buildings on a plateau, weird ceramic-like architecture
* Actually really cool looking! Music and atmosphere build the mood
* Dinosaur bones (morbid?) used in architecture
* Also, technologically advanced: switches + bizarre, unexplained maze puzzle
* Good luck getting that Ceratopper
* Was supposed to contain Mitsuda’s “The Unknown Battle” (pre-cursor to Boss Battle 2), but replaced with Uematsu’s “Tyran Castle” (moody, epic)
* Plus, even though sprites don’t give a good indication, castle feels like it looks in the art: lots of branching paths, pitfalls, and even some vistas. Not always obvious how to get up to the next area with switch puzzles + ambushes
* It feels like it’s building up to something big without being too long
* Did you know that you can sit in Azala’s throne, and if you do, your character will laugh?? Neat!
* Further accentuated with Nizbel II (and your ability to breeze past him… sort of) followed by even more rooms, and then Azala’s throne room...
**Big Bad Bosses: Nizbel II, Azala, and Black Tyranno**
* Thankfully, no boss gauntlet like at the end of the game, but there are technically two (three?) bosses back to back: Nizbel II, Azala and Black Tyranno
* Nizbel II
* Pretty similar to the first time...
* Lightning lowers defense; keep Crono on this
* Defense rises when hit with regular attacks
* Alternate between damage and healing dual techs with Ayla
* Damage will ratchet up until Nizbel releases the electricity: about 200 damage
* If you can, never hit with a regular attack; always use something like Volt Bite or Spire (which are lightning)
* ...Or, you can walk on the wild side; equip Ayla with a rage band (50% counterattack; found in the Sewers) or Berserker Ring (physical attack times 1.5, physical damage reduced by ⅓; found in either Mystic Mountains or Lab 16)... and have someone heal
* Has 6500 HP, so if all else fails, just grind it out then use a shelter at nearby save point
* You can charm a Third Eye (doubles evasion stat)
* _Fun fact:_ Using something called the Fade Out glitch, you can avoid the Nizbel II fight entirely! You can do this at some other points as well.
* At a high level, takes a small amount of time (8 frames) for screen to fade out when you enter a doorway.
* If you interrupt that by opening the menu, 8 frame timer resets
* If you keep doing that, you can move around a bit while fadeout continues
* If you trigger the south exit, then manage to go in and out of the menu correctly and travel to the top of the screen… the game will trigger the start of the fight with Nizbel II, finish the fade out (warping you to the outside), and when you go back, the game will think you fought Nizbel (since the fight flag was already triggered, whether or not you actually did it!)
* Azala and Black Tyranno
* After a few more rooms, you face off against Azala and Black Tyranno
* Make sure you’ve invested in Ruby Vest from the Ioka Trading Hut (3 fangs, 3 feathers; cuts fire damage in half) or something better (if New Game+) since Black Tyranno will be droppin’ a lot of flames
* Black Tyranno is weak to physical damage, but don’t bother until Azala is dead (it’s protected)
* Azala is weak against lightning; easy to take down, but will cause HP down (slowly saps HP) once defeated
* Tyranno will lower its defense once it once Azala dead and starts counting down
* If no fire protection… will deal ~300 damage.
* Otherwise, just a matter of time; Tyranno has just over 10k HP!
* Can charm power tab from tyranno, magic from Azala
* You can also try the BerserkAyla strategy again… honestly, her physical damage is so OP.
* Then… prepare for some PLOT!
**What is up with the Reptites?**
* Why didn’t they just win?
* Developed _long_ before humans; subjugated many other species
* Cave Apes
* Volcanites (?)
* (Other dinosaur like creatures)
* Bigger heads (bigger brains?); more intelligent, and tougher than humans
* Built impressive structures including a giant advanced castle in a lava field!
* Technologically advanced! Switches, puzzles, architecture, psionics?!
* THEY HAVE A GIANT T-REX
* What is it doing there, anyway? Is it the only one of its kind? Can it speak? Is it sentient like the other reptites??
* If you face Lavos before Black Tyranno, get Dinosaur Times ending, indicating that humans weren’t strong enough to defeat the reptites
* So why didn’t they win in the first place (before the events of Chrono Trigger)??
* What exactly are reptites?
* In Japanese they’re called Dino-people
* We see several other dinosaur-like creatures; is it like humans and other apes?
* Black Tyranno
* Megasaur / Terasaur
* Avian Rex
* Uniformly vulnerable to lightning? Nope! Only Terasaur (shocked), Avian Rex (1.3x damage), Nizbel and Nizbel II… Purple Reptites actually resist lightning
## What is the Zeal Archives?
The Zeal Archives is a monthly podcast exploring the A-Z of the world of Chrono Trigger one bit at a time—two parts audio drama, one part discussion podcast, one hundred percent love letter to one of the best JRPGs of all time!
The Zeal Archives is published at [zealarchives.com](https://zealarchives.com) and [thenickscast.com](https://thenickscast.com) and can be found on most podcatching services. Please leave us comments, questions, criticism, or any other feedback at TheNickscast on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast).