Self-regulation skills, including self-control, help us reach our goals, learn in school and get along with others. Millions of children struggle to develop them. We talk to experts for strategies to teach these skills — and get some very special help from Cookie Monster.
Here's what to remember:
- Look at self-regulation as a skill that can be learned and practiced.
- Teach children to calm themselves.
- Use your imagination to reframe a temptation.
- What would Batman do? Kids can channel their heroes to make it easier to live up to their values.
- Be strategic about distractions.
- Build self-regulation skills with activities like martial arts or music lessons.