What Constitutes a Cult Classic? Movies From Black Creators, Spider-Man 3 Title, and More
On the February 24, 2021 episode of /Film Daily, /Film senior writer Ben Pearson is joined by /Film managing editor Jacob Hall, weekend editor Brad Oman, and writers Hoai-Tran Bui and Chris Evangelista to talk about the latest film and TV news, including the title for Spider-Man 3, David Fincher’s next movie, some Disney+ release dates, and a couple of cool Netflix projects. We also answer a couple of mailbag questions.
Opening Banter: There seems to be a problem with iTunes/Podbean.
In The News:
* (Brad) ‘Spider-Man 3’ Has Officially Been Titled ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’
* (Chris) ‘The Killer’ Will Reunite David Fincher with ‘Seven’ Writer Andrew Kevin Walker for Netflix Thriller Starring Michael Fassbender
* Two more cool Netflix projects
* (Chris) ‘The Bluff’ Will Be a Netflix Pirate Movie Starring Zoe Saldana
* (Chris) ‘Gordon Hemingway & the Realm of Cthulhu’ Coming to Netflix from Director Stefon Bristol and Producer Spike Lee
* (HT) Disney+ Reveals Release Dates for ‘Loki’, ‘Star Wars: The Bad Batch’, ‘Monsters at Work’, and More
In The Mailbag:
* If I can only watch a handful of Godzilla and/or Kong movies in preparation for Godzilla vs. Kong, which ones should I watch? Craig from Albany, NY
* Sorry Craig, we have no idea!
* Podcast listener here; was wondering if you guys could do a segment highlighting /suggesting movies or shows from Black creators or highlighting Black talent for black history month? Best, Brittany from OC, California
* Ben - If Beale Street Could Talk, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, When They See Us
* Chris – Pretty much anything Spike Lee has made. Just go watch all of it, right now.
* Brad - One Night in Miami, Selma, Good Hair
* Jacob - Moonlight, Get Out, Love and Basketball, Baadasssss!
* HT - Steve McQueen’s Small Axe, Blindspotting, Black Dynamite
* Twitter user LandoRocks asked us to define what constitutes a cult classic and list some of our favorites.
* Ben - MacGruber, Wet Hot American Summer, Donnie Darko
* Jacob - StarCrash, Clue, Miami Connection, Darkman, The Astrologer
* Chris - Barb & Star (yes, I know it’s new, but it will absolutely be a cult classic), anything from John Waters, anything from David Lynch, Under the Silver Lake/Southland Tales, A Cure for Wellness, Miami Vice, Road House.
* Brad - Clerks, Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, Office Space, They Came Together
* HT - Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Stephen Chow movies
Other Articles Mentioned:
All the other stuff you need to know:
* You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
* /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
* You can subscribe to /Film Daily on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
* Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at email@example.com. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
* Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!
* Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.