Aug 16, 2022
Diving Deeper - Episode 2: Where's the Sugar? Discussion Questions
In this episode, Molly and Emily start their job as magazine girls! But when they start delivering magazines to Oak Knoll Hospital, the girls are met with a chilly reception. And what’s worse, they discover that MORE items mysteriously go missing… who is behind it?
Watch + listen to 10 Minute Mysteries with your family on Youtube.
Visit Americangirl.com and follow @americangirlbrand on Instagram for more updates on your favorite dolls, books, and American Girl Podcast Network podcasts!
• Why does the Red Cross need lots of oatmeal and sugar? Why are these items important to Molly’s mother?
• During World War II, certain goods, like sugar and gasoline, were scarce—so they were rationed, with limited amounts available to each household. Have you ever experienced a shortage of goods? Can you think of common items that have become scarce in the recent past?
• As Molly and Emily bike to the hospital, Molly sees a poster with the Home Front Pledge, which says: “I pay legal prices and accept no rationed goods without giving up ration stamps.” What does this pledge mean, and why is it important?
• What is a Black Market? Why are Molly and Emily talking about it?
• Molly and Emily volunteer after school at a convalescent hospital. What is their volunteer job? Why are the patients pleased to see them?