The philosopher and pride of Bakersfield, CA Manuel Vargas joins us to talk about culpability under conditions of oppression. How should we treat wrongdoers when their actions and character are shaped in part by their oppressive circumstances? Is it disrespectful not to blame oppressed people for their bad behavior? Can being oppressed make you more culpable in some circumstances? And what's the point of holding people culpable anyway? Plus, the differences between "Hispanic" and "Latino/Latina/Latinx" and an exciting announcement: VBW merch!
Special Guest: Manuel Vargas.
Support Very Bad Wizards
- Our new VBW shirts are here! Very Bad Wizards | Teespring — Shirts, hoodies, mugs, and stickers! This time there are two slightly different designs, and a few colors to choose from!
- Nelson Walkom (listener/musician/artist who suggested the VBW "repugnant" t-shirt design)
- Manuel Vargas, that's who!
- Latino - Wikipedia
- Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia
- Situationism (psychology) - Wikipedia
- Action theory (philosophy) - Wikipedia
- Gary Watson - USC Gould School of Law
- Break Beat
- "The Social Constitution of Responsible Agency: Oppression, Politics, and Moral Ecology" in The Social Dimensions of Responsibility. Edited by Marina Oshana, Katrina Hutchinson, and Catriona Mackenzie. New York: Oxford University Press, Forthcoming.