Aja Hammerly and Brian Dorsey are here this week to start off a new year of podcasts! In an interview with Google Developer Advocate Katie McLaughlin, we talk about the advantages of Python 3 and why version 2 has been retired, as well as the cool things you can do with Django.
Later, Katie discusses the complexities of deployment and how she makes it work smoothly with GCP, and we have some fun with emojis!
Katie has worn many different hats over the years. She is currently a Developer Advocate at Google Cloud, and a Director of the Python Software Foundation. When she’s not changing the world, she enjoys making tapestries, cooking, and seeing just how well various application stacks handle emoji.
Cool things of the week
- Running workloads on dedicated hardware just got better blog
- Container security summit is going on as we record this site
- Easily upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 while migrating to Google Cloud blog
- Launch of the BigQuery Weekly Data Challenge! site
- New data engineering learning path site
- Python Software Foundation site
- PyCascades site
- Django Demo site
- Emojipedia site
- App Engine site
- Compute Engine site
- Cloud Run site
- Cloud Build site
- Secrets Manager site
- Kakapo Mountain Parrot site
- The Power ⚡️ and Responsibility 😓 of Unicode Adoption ✨ video
Question of the week
I need to run something later, but Cron isn’t a good fit. What do I do?
Where can you find us next?
We’ll be at Cloud Next in San Francisco in April! Katie will also be at PyCon US in April!
Sound Effects Attribution